The site was orignally launched in August of 1995 as "Scott's Celiac Page," located at http://www.hooked.net/~sadams, and in 1997 it became the "Celiac Support Page," and moved to www.celiac.com. A browse through Celiac.com's history section shows how the site evolved over time, and even though the the look and functionality of it has changed a great deal to keep up with technology, one thing about the site hasn't changed...its core mission:
- "The purpose of this site is to provide people who have celiac disease and are not aware of it with a means of figuring out what their problem is, and to help those who know they have it to lead more comfortable and healthy lives."
In the Summer of 2002, Celiac.com launched the quarterly paper publication "Journal of Gluten Sensitivity," edited by Dr. Ron Hoggan Ed.D, which was the first paper publication dedicated to gluten sensitivity. The last print edition was mailed to subscribers in the Winter of 2015, and all new issues (and soon all of the archives) are now available here. On June 15, 2010, Scott Adams and Dr. Ron Hoggan Ed.D. published "Cereal Killers." Both publications contain original articles written by leading celiac disease researchers, doctors, and authors, including but not limited to (see our Staff page for more details):
- Chaitan Khosla, Ph.D.
- Prof. Rodney Ford, M.B., B.S., M.D., F.R.A.C.P.
- William Dickey, Ph.D., M.D., F.A.C.G.
- Dr. Jonas Ludvigsson, Professor
- Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
- Danna Korn, Author
- Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
- Roy S. Jamron
- Kenneth Fine, M.D.
- Dr. Vikki Petersen, DC, CCN, CFMP
- Dr. Scot Lewey
- Amrit P.S. Narula M.D, F.A.C.P, F.A.C.G, F.A.C.N., A.G.A.F
- Frank W Jackson MD, Gastroenterologist
- Shikhman Alexander M.D.
- Betty Wedman-St Louis, PhD, RD, LD
- Shelley Case, B.Sc., RD
- Vijay Kumar, Ph.D., FACB
- Antonio Tursi, M.D.
- Jules E.D. Shepard, Author
- Carol Fenster, Author
- Dr.Thomas O’Bryan
- Jefferson Adams
Celiac.com has been featured in The New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle, The Wall Street Journal, KQED's Forum, and most recently Scott Adams was interviewed by The Economist for their show "Babbage" on celiac disease. See our Press page for more details.
We have added a page with some of the many thank you e-mail that we have received from people who were helped by the site.