Myooshka

Most Accurate Food Allergy Testing

Rate this topic

Hi there we are just waiting to do Celiac testing at the doctors but with symptom and family history we are going to go gluten free even if the test shows negative. With my sons symptoms we do not want to wait the almost one year to get food allergy testing done. We feel it would be best to go gluten free and try to uncover any other food allergies. Does anyone have any comments on which is the most accurate way to test for food allergies. I was reading on the Elisa test(blood test), there is also a naturopathic doctor that does IgG and IgE testing. Or is the skin prick test at the doctors considered the gold standard?

The MOST accurate way to test for food allergies is dietary challenge. Any serology is hit or miss at best (though still better than nothing). Skin prick tests are notoriously unreliable, and will catch large reactions, but not smaller ones. If you want to start with serology, I'd start with the IgG and IgE tests; even dyed-in-the-wool traditional allergists will tell you a skin prick test isn't very good for food allergies.