coffeetime

Went For My Follow Up Yesterday!

Rate this topic

In Nov my brother was diagnosed with celiac and we were advised to be tested. My old Dr. refused since I "looked healthy" so I called my gyn and she ran the test for me. I posted my results on this board several in Dec and got wonderful feedback while I was waiting for my follow up with my new Dr. yesterday. She was wonderful. 2 days a month she accepts new patients and spends about an hour with each and had actually read over the paperwork I had filled out and sent in.

On to the important stuff--I am gluten intolerant and she actually said "Look the test is positive, we can do the biopsy if you want celiac as a diagnosis and it may or may not be positive depending on many factors. The treatment is the same--give up gluten!" No surprise after reading these boards for awhile.

The surprise however for me was the fact that the nurse in the gyn office had marked the wrong DNA test and the test used for lupus came back positive! She is running an ANA test to see where I am. The other surprise was when they ran the EKG and my resting heart rate was 45 bpm (and I'm definitely not a high performance athlete.)

I know from the boards that there is often a link between lupus and celiac-has anyone had experience with this and/or a very low resting heart rate? Since both are inflammatory conditions do you think the diet will help me from getting flare-ups? Thanks in advance for any help.

I also forgot to ask about vitamins--Does anyone have any recommendations? I figured from what I've read the B vit would be good, but I don't know what else.

Thanks.

In Nov my brother was diagnosed with celiac and we were advised to be tested. My old Dr. refused since I "looked healthy" so I called my gyn and she ran the test for me. I posted my results on this board several in Dec and got wonderful feedback while I was waiting for my follow up with my new Dr. yesterday. She was wonderful. 2 days a month she accepts new patients and spends about an hour with each and had actually read over the paperwork I had filled out and sent in.

On to the important stuff--I am gluten intolerant and she actually said "Look the test is positive, we can do the biopsy if you want celiac as a diagnosis and it may or may not be positive depending on many factors. The treatment is the same--give up gluten!" No surprise after reading these boards for awhile.

The surprise however for me was the fact that the nurse in the gyn office had marked the wrong DNA test and the test used for lupus came back positive! She is running an ANA test to see where I am. The other surprise was when they ran the EKG and my resting heart rate was 45 bpm (and I'm definitely not a high performance athlete.)

I know from the boards that there is often a link between lupus and celiac-has anyone had experience with this and/or a very low resting heart rate? Since both are inflammatory conditions do you think the diet will help me from getting flare-ups? Thanks in advance for any help.

I just reat at the delphi celiac forum today that someone cited that her doctor said that about 40% or was it half of celiacs have postive ANA and that one needs more test to decide if it is lupus. The positive ANA is a celiac thing.

vitamins--get the D tested. Typically low in celiac. Vitamin D is important re. autoimmune diesases, it normalizes the immune system.