Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rowena

Smiths (Grocery Store)

So normally we shop at Whole Foods and I am finally getting used to buying stuff there and I know what I can and can't buy there. Well last night I realized the only food we had in the house was food we had designated as Thanksgiving dinner. So for the second night in a row, we went grocery shopping. But we instead went to our nearby Smiths. Its a really great store, and they have a million and one safe products. But I just have to complain... They have a naturals section of the store (the part that is more like whole foods) and they have these labels to state wheat/gluten free. By the time we finish shopping its like oh I dunno, eight oclock at night, and we are starving. So I say, honey grab whatever you want, and I will grab something I can eat.... You know a fast meal. So I look at the gluten free stuff in the freezer... Nope, nothing sounds good. So I look in the pasta section. Ooh look wheat/free gluten free. Pull out a box of something that sounds good... Get home, and well first ingredient, wheat flour.....

Gluten Free since Oct. 1, 2010
Fish/Seafood Free since 1997
Chocolate Free (with a few taste tests to see if I'm just crazy) since 2001.
Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)
Esophagitis dx'd 8/5/2013 thus doing a diet devoid of acidic foods and stuff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So normally we shop at Whole Foods and I am finally getting used to buying stuff there and I know what I can and can't buy there. Well last night I realized the only food we had in the house was food we had designated as Thanksgiving dinner. So for the second night in a row, we went grocery shopping. But we instead went to our nearby Smiths. Its a really great store, and they have a million and one safe products. But I just have to complain... They have a naturals section of the store (the part that is more like whole foods) and they have these labels to state wheat/gluten free. By the time we finish shopping its like oh I dunno, eight oclock at night, and we are starving. So I say, honey grab whatever you want, and I will grab something I can eat.... You know a fast meal. So I look at the gluten free stuff in the freezer... Nope, nothing sounds good. So I look in the pasta section. Ooh look wheat/free gluten free. Pull out a box of something that sounds good... Get home, and well first ingredient, wheat flour.....

I keep some cans of Dinty Moore beef stew on hand for nights like that. That over a bag of Steamfresh rice is pretty good. Also, Hormel chicken chunks over bagged salad is good too! Progresso soups too..That with corn tortilla and ham melts...stuff like that which is so quick and easy to make is good to keep on hand! Sorry that meal didnt work out for you!

Oh I had chicken noodle soup from gluten-free Cafe... SO YUMMY! But yeah I ended up telling my husband, "I am just gonna eat it. I don't care." But then when he handed it to me, I couldn't get it anywhere close to my mouth. So he made me soup instead. Thankfully we bought some other quick stuff that I knew was safe.

Officially Dairy free 8/5/2013 (mostly dairy free before that, but I like my cheese and things) (dx'd officially with lactose intolerance, suspect casein too though)

Oh I had chicken noodle soup from gluten-free Cafe... SO YUMMY! But yeah I ended up telling my husband, "I am just gonna eat it. I don't care." But then when he handed it to me, I couldn't get it anywhere close to my mouth. So he made me soup instead. Thankfully we bought some other quick stuff that I knew was safe.

I'll have to look for that soup. It's called Gluten free cafe? Is that the brand?

Man, that's frustrating! Glad you were able to find something else you could eat :)

Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!

My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

yes gluten free cafe brand.