terin514

Confused About Enterolab Test And Need For "gluten Challenge"

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone -

First of all, SO happy to have found this site. I am proceeding with Enterolab testing after years of "IBS" diagnoses and living with all of the symptoms of Celiac... and growing up in a family of people with "weak stomachs".

I have been gluten-free for about 2 - 3 weeks now and feel SO much better that I know I'll be gluten-free even if the Enterolab results do not come back positive (although I suspect they will). I guess, like many others, I'd just like the validation of the results.

But, on to my question:

The Enterolab instructions say to NOT change your way of eating (i.e. do not do a gluten challenge) before you take the test... However, I see many posts on this site recommending a gluten challenge before a test. Can someone clear this up for me? Is there something different about the Enterolab tests?

I am excited to do the test, but wondering if I should order up a couple pizzas this week (although I hate to even think of doing that - the thought of the bloating, C/D, pain, irritability and fatigue make me want to just go forth without the challenge).

Your help is VERY much appreciated!

:D

For an endoscopy or blood panel you need to eat gluten because one tests for antibodies and you need to eat the gluten for there to be antibodies. The other is a look at your small intestine where biopsies are taken. Again for the damage to be present you need to be producing antibodies and you must be eating gluten for that to happen.

I believe Enterolab is the gene testing which doesn't change no matter what you eat. Someone correct me if there is more to it than that.

Thanks for the reply and the info. I thought that Enterolab did test for the antibodies... I'm doing the full panel PLUS the gene test.

Can someone let me know if there is a difference between the antibody tests, and why Enterolab would recommend NOT changing your diet or doing a gluten challenge prior to the full test?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply and the info. I thought that Enterolab did test for the antibodies... I'm doing the full panel PLUS the gene test.

Can someone let me know if there is a difference between the antibody tests, and why Enterolab would recommend NOT changing your diet or doing a gluten challenge prior to the full test?

Thanks again!

Hi Terin! Welcome to the forum, glad you found us : ) This is a wonderful community and really supportive...

I went through Enterolab about a year ago and found them to be super helpful every time I called with questions. I did the stool panel and the genetic cheek swab. You can just call their main number and ask them what they recommend. I don't think you need to do a gluten challenge before the test, but it's been a while since I've taken it. From what I've read and heard, it doesn't matter whether you eat gluten or not because the things that they test for stay in the body for a long time. Something about the stool test being sensitive to gluten intolerance. It says it on their website in the FAQ section.

I'd call though, maybe their protocol has changed. Their number is 972.686.6869. Good luck with your test!

Thanks again! I will call to make sure - I really appreciate everyone's help!

:D