Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kthies2

Gluten Challenge Help And Dna Test Question

Oh thank goodnes for this forum! I am lost and need some direction please!

I finally found a doctor who seems to know what celiac disease is. Thank goodness. I'm still not sure I have it but want to find out for sure. I have long been avoiding all food with gluten and lactose so he says I need to take the gluten challenge so we can test for it. To help ease any discomfort that eating gluten again may cause, and to ease the pain in case it isn't celiac disease and its IBS, he gave me Apriso medication to take once daily (only 0.375g dose).

Questions:

1) does anyone have an opinion on this medication?

2) how do I find a list of high gluten foods so I can consume enough each day while on the test without having to chew bread all day long? whats the biggest bang for my buck with total health in mind. I'm trying to manage my weight so not trying to tip the scale while doing this.

3) do you think I should take the DNA test and how does that work? Can that test rule out celiac disease for sure? Feels like that might be easier to do but the doc says it only tells you your liklihood of having celiac disease but can't tell you anything definite.

HELP!!!!

Thanks to anyone who can give me some guidance! Much appreciated!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Doctor is right, the DQ test is mostly about risk.

Do any of your family have celiac? That is the highest risk, next is having a postive test for DQ2 or 8.

I baked bread with added wheat gluten to increase the gluten content.

If you read the protein content of flour and bread, you can assume that 90% is gluten. So there is no food higher i gluten than bread or items baked with wheat flour, and the bread that risis highest I guess has most gluten, but then you must eat more slices since it is so light...you just have to weigh some samples and figure out how much gluten is in each type of bread.

Pasta has lots of gluten too.

I actually got more hungry the more bread etc I ate...but I did not feel too bad. My insides felt a bit like there was some barb wire but not too bad. Others have pains all the time.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

Before I knew I was gluten intolerant I had to quit eating pasta because of the digestive problems I had with it. I did not have these problems with bread at the time. I think perhaps the gluten might be denser in pasta than in bread. Just one opinion. I used to note all the athletes who did carb loading before a race with pasta, and thought, how could they compete after that?? :P

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009