Rate this topic

Hello,

I am a 36 yr old male thats 5'10 180 and in pretty good shape. I have some allergy to lactose as milk and cheese cause numerous gastro issues. My issue is that I have been suffering with lower abdominal pain/pressure (above the male region and just below the stomach)for the past 2.5 years and cant figure out why. Some days I have no pressure and other days its painfull to the point where I just wanna poke myself to pop. At times the only thing that helps is releasing gas but then the pressure comes back within 10 seconds. I have been to a GI and also had a colonoscopy plus blood work which came back inconclusive for Celiac. Im not sure if that uncertainty is just a preview of whats to come or Im in fact not allergic. I have also been to mumerous general doctors as I cant find one that actually cares, needless to say I am alone on this and wonder if their are specific symptoms or signs that will help guide me to a yes or no on this allergy.

Thank You!

Hello,

I am a 36 yr old male thats 5'10 180 and in pretty good shape. I have some allergy to lactose as milk and cheese cause numerous gastro issues. My issue is that I have been suffering with lower abdominal pain/pressure (above the male region and just below the stomach)for the past 2.5 years and cant figure out why. Some days I have no pressure and other days its painfull to the point where I just wanna poke myself to pop. At times the only thing that helps is releasing gas but then the pressure comes back within 10 seconds. I have been to a GI and also had a colonoscopy plus blood work which came back inconclusive for Celiac. Im not sure if that uncertainty is just a preview of whats to come or Im in fact not allergic. I have also been to mumerous general doctors as I cant find one that actually cares, needless to say I am alone on this and wonder if their are specific symptoms or signs that will help guide me to a yes or no on this allergy.

Thank You!

Celiac disease is not an allergy, it's an autoimmune disorder which makes it in many ways more serious. Did your doctor know how to read your blood test results because many of them don't? Is inconclusive meaning totally negative or partially positive? You don't have to be positive on all of them to have it.

Have you gone to an allergist for testing for food allergies? Not that those tests are always accurate but it's a start.

You can also play with your diet yourself but it's a big commitment and it takes time. You can either go gluten free and see if that does the trick. Or you can do an elimination diet which means you cut your diet down to the least allergenic foods for a week or two. You eat rice, chicken, squash, fruits, etc.

The major allergens should be cut out. Wheat, dairy, soy, corn, chocolate, eggs, berries, citrus, oats, pretty much all grains but rice at first because rice is the least likely to cause allergy. Then after doing the simple diet for a week or so you add back in one food at a time every 3-4 days. If you get sick from it, you cut the food and challenge it again in a few days time. You do egg whites and yolks separately because it's more often the whites that people are allergic to.

My mother in law is an allergist and she is a big fan of doing an elimination diet but she has a very hard time getting patients to do it. Food allergy testing may or may not show up positive but you can still react to the food.