justanothermom

Gliadin Antibody, Igg

Rate this topic

What is the normal range for this test? If your score is high on this test but seems to be okay in all other celiac related tests, what would this indicate?

What is the normal range for this test? If your score is high on this test but seems to be okay in all other celiac related tests, what would this indicate?

That the person has celiac. The normal range should be given in the test results. Even a low positive on celiac tests is positive. False negatives are much more common especially in children.

That the person has celiac. The normal range should be given in the test results. Even a low positive on celiac tests is positive. False negatives are much more common especially in children.

Thank you for your response. The endo never even addressed this test, nor did he mention celiac. He was focused on my diabetes and high cholesterol numbers. My score on this test was 51. The reference range section was blank. The other celiac test scores were, as best I could tell, average/negative.

Thank you for your response. The endo never even addressed this test, nor did he mention celiac. He was focused on my diabetes and high cholesterol numbers. My score on this test was 51. The reference range section was blank. The other celiac test scores were, as best I could tell, average/negative.

In any of the ranges I have seen that would be a firm positive. If you are not planning on having the endoscopsy done I would start the diet. You may find your diabetes is easier to control once you have healed a bit so keep good track of your BG numbers and A1C levels. If you are prediabetic rather than diabetic that may even reverse. You should get your vitamin and mineral levels checked if they haven't already. We are often deficient in B12, D, Iron etc. Also if your liver enzymes are a bit off that is often seen before we are on the diet. For most it resolves. If you take any meds, OTC or script they need to be checked. Generics need to be checked each refill. Also check your supplements.

I hope you are feeling better soon. There is a lot to learn at first but it is worth it.

In any of the ranges I have seen that would be a firm positive. If you are not planning on having the endoscopsy done I would start the diet. You may find your diabetes is easier to control once you have healed a bit so keep good track of your BG numbers and A1C levels. If you are prediabetic rather than diabetic that may even reverse. You should get your vitamin and mineral levels checked if they haven't already. We are often deficient in B12, D, Iron etc. Also if your liver enzymes are a bit off that is often seen before we are on the diet. For most it resolves. If you take any meds, OTC or script they need to be checked. Generics need to be checked each refill. Also check your supplements.

I hope you are feeling better soon. There is a lot to learn at first but it is worth it.

My A1C was only 6.95 at diagnosis, and my BG numbers have all improved in the three months since I was diagnosed. Highest numbers are 100-110 in the morning for the most part. I really don't feel bad, nor do I have celiac symptoms. I just caught this score on my lab test and wondered why a score marked high was ignored. I have tested positive for Vit D deficiency in the past and started taking it OTC. The last test for that was in the average range. I had a colonoscopy last summer which was normal. Had an anal squamous cell tumor removed last summer. It was stage I. Don't know about any mineral levels.

Would you call the endo? Wait for the next endo appt (six weeks)? Dump the endo (I am not crazy about him, obviously, but there really are not many around here)? Can a gastroenterologist treat both diabetes and celiac?

Thanks for any and all responses.

My A1C was only 6.95 at diagnosis, and my BG numbers have all improved in the three months since I was diagnosed. Highest numbers are 100-110 in the morning for the most part. I really don't feel bad, nor do I have celiac symptoms. I just caught this score on my lab test and wondered why a score marked high was ignored. I have tested positive for Vit D deficiency in the past and started taking it OTC. The last test for that was in the average range. I had a colonoscopy last summer which was normal. Had an anal squamous cell tumor removed last summer. It was stage I. Don't know about any mineral levels.

Would you call the endo? Wait for the next endo appt (six weeks)? Dump the endo (I am not crazy about him, obviously, but there really are not many around here)? Can a gastroenterologist treat both diabetes and celiac?

Thanks for any and all responses.

The negatives on the other tests could also be linked to an IGA deficiency depending on how low your IGA numbers were. If you have type 1 diabetes you are much more likely than the average population to develop celiac given both are autoimmune.

I would call your endo, or potentially get a new one. If you don't feel they are managing your care as they should, fire them! A GI would probably only treat the celiac. If you were really really lucky (like I seem to be) you would find a PCP willing to watch over both. (I don't have diabetes, but my hubby does and we both have the same doctor.)

Hope this helps.

The negatives on the other tests could also be linked to an IGA deficiency depending on how low your IGA numbers were. If you have type 1 diabetes you are much more likely than the average population to develop celiac given both are autoimmune.

I would call your endo, or potentially get a new one. If you don't feel they are managing your care as they should, fire them! A GI would probably only treat the celiac. If you were really really lucky (like I seem to be) you would find a PCP willing to watch over both. (I don't have diabetes, but my hubby does and we both have the same doctor.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response. My Gliadin IgA was 4, Endomysial Ab (IgA) was negative. There is a note that says "additional testing... report" but I did not get that despite asking for all lab reports/results. I am so frustrated. I am T2 diabetic, and my numbers are all under control. This endo does not believe in reversal or ever letting patients off meds, only in increasing them. I think I am going to give him one more chance, with my next appt in March, then go dr shopping if he does not impress me any more. I would at least like to have a dr who looks you in the eye, listens when you are talking, and responds to your questions.

You ask why they did not pay attetnion to the antigliadin IgG test.

That is because it is positive in some percent of tests, and they jsut think it is falsely positive.

They think the tissue transglutaminase IgA is more specific.

But if you google ford gluten you get to his homepage, where he explains that the antigliadin IgG IS important and is about gluten intolerance, it is a good test for that. There is more to the gluten issue than just celiac. Just thinki of DH or gluten ataxia, the gluten thing is much bigger than just celiac.

Another thing to consider is that researchers followed first degree relatives of diagnosed celiacs over many years, and tested them.

Now first the antigliadin test turned positive, then the other tests and then they biopsied them and they were diagnosed.

You ask why they did not pay attetnion to the antigliadin IgG test.

That is because it is positive in some percent of tests, and they jsut think it is falsely positive.

They think the tissue transglutaminase IgA is more specific.

But if you google ford gluten you get to his homepage, where he explains that the antigliadin IgG IS important and is about gluten intolerance, it is a good test for that. There is more to the gluten issue than just celiac. Just thinki of DH or gluten ataxia, the gluten thing is much bigger than just celiac.

Another thing to consider is that researchers followed first degree relatives of diagnosed celiacs over many years, and tested them.

Now first the antigliadin test turned positive, then the other tests and then they biopsied them and they were diagnosed.

thanks for your reply. Not sure exactly how to proceed, but I will definitely be doing more investigating.