traveller12

Eusophagitis And Gastritis?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone~

I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. For as long as I can remember (i'm 24) i've had stomach issues/severe fatigue/asthma/and overall been sensitive to just about everything--I also have had a weird scaly rash on my eyebrows/eyelids and scalp that in the past I chalked up to eczema/dandruff. After hitting a breaking point (and having my gall bladder tested and being told I was 'fine') I got frustrated and started tracking the food that I ate for 10 days. I discovered that my symptoms were aggravated by foods with gluten, and when I went gluten free--my symptoms improved dramatically (IE-woke up and got out of bed when my alarm clock ran for the first time in years the day after I ate nothing with gluten in it.)

I found a pretty good GI, and he agreed to do an endoscopy/blood tests. The day I went to see him I ate some gluten b/c I thought he might be running blood tests, and I ended up with a blistery rash all over my torso, which only got worse as I ate gluten up until my testing, which was 6 days later.

Immediately following the endoscopy I was told I have erosive esophagitis and moderate gastritis. I'm wondering if other people also had this diagnosis when they had an endoscopy? I'm not sure if these are two common symptoms of celiac/gluten intolerance, or if this is the result of something else? I'm also really unsure as to what to do about it, because if I don't know what is causing these two things to occur, then I don't really know how I can get rid of them. I'll have biopsy results sometime next week for celiacs and euosinophilic esophagus. I'm feeling a little unsettled and would love to hear if others have had 'itises' as part of their diagnosis as celiac or intolerant.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramble!

My daughter has Celiac and Eosinophilic Esophagitis.

Just had another enoscopy yesterday and it appears that the elimination diet has healed her esophagus. Waiting on the pathology report as the tissue appeared to be normal.

She has eliminated...

gluten (oats are excluded too)

soy (all leguemes)

casein

eggs

fish

shellfish

nuts

treenuts

food dyes

BHT

she also can't seem to tolerate any artificial sugar substitutes

There has been a HUGE increase in diagnosing Eosinophilic Esophagitis/Gastritis/colonitis.

Eosinophils are very damaging to host tissue and can stay active for 12 days. Very often there is no positives on allergy tests for individuals. You will have to figure out what foods or airborn "triggers" the production in the bone marrow.

There isn't as much information on the web yet, but it is increasing every day.

Hi Traveler and Mommida,

I was diagnosed wit Eosinophilic Esophagitis late last year. I'm still trying to figure out all the things I'm allergic to. I haven't been tested for Celiac but though there might be a connection so I joined this board. It seems like there may be a connection so I'm giving up gluten. It's been a few days now. I'll have more allergy testing in March.

Traveler, I don't have as much going on as you do. I just have EE. I'm on prilosec and flovent (swallowed) for it. Those have helped but I'm also doing a lot of food eliminations. Keeping a diary, like you've been doing. Some information implies EE is chronic but I think if I get a handle on food allergies/intolerances maybe it will go away. I'm sorry you've been sick your whole like. I know people on other EE/EGID forums that have similar stories. Sometimes it takes years to diagnose. Let me know how you're doing. As Mommida says there are more and more people being diagnosed with EE. It used to be mostly children, now adults are getting it at exponential rates.

Hi Traveler

My daughter whose is 7 was dx'd with Eosinophilic Esophagastis last September. They actually found the cells in her esophagas, tummy, and colon. She does not have celiac. Through standard allergy testing-skin & blood-we have found eleven food allergies and a bunch of environmental. She has improved since the allergens were removed but not 100% We are expecting to see more eosinophilic cells when she has another endoscope next month.

I believe that I am gluten intolerant so we have not ruled out the same possiblity for her.

Have you visited the apfed.org or cured.org websites yet? They are both on EE disorders.

Good luck.