Ivory

8 Year Old With Celiac Symptoms?

Rate this topic

Hi, I am new to this but was wondering if anyone could offer any information?? My daughter is 8 years old and for the past year and a half she has had problems. She started out having heart palpitations and angina like symptoms. Her heart has been tested and has come back as being normal. When they ran blood tests she was anemic and had low platetlets. They have diagnosed her with ITP (her dad has it too) since her levels have never totally rebounded but are up to 150 right now. (low side of normal) Her anemia has since resolved. Her blood work also showed that she had an IGE level (her response to an allergen) 10 times higher than normal. Allergy testing didn't determine anything. She has allegic rhinitis. She has stomachaches daily. She complains of feeling bloated, too full and gassy.Also, a burning pain. She has bouts of diahrea and has since she was a baby. The health nurse said she hadn't seen explosive diaharrhea like it. In the past months says her vision is blurry. It does not come and go it is always blurry. She has also been very irritable and moody. She has huge mood swings. The doctor says it is anxiety or that she had ADHD. They did a blood test for Celiac that was negative. However, the more I read the more it sounds like her. I'm not sure what to do. I tried gluten free but was not very diligent. The third day she had cheerios and came home sick from school with a really bad stomach ache and headache. Two days later her dad gave her something with wheat and she called me at work crying from a stomachache. A few days later she had something and didn't seem to react. I gave up and started her on gluten full force. Two days later we were up in emergency with what they think is an anxiety attack. Chest pain, couldn't breath and felt like she was dying. I have no idea if this is all related but any help would be appreciated. Another thing is that her appetite is often huge. She is a normal height and weight (thin but not too thin) but often eats all day. I can't seem to fill her up. Her appetite is larger than her 11 year old sister. She also has weak teeth. At 1 1/2 her teeth needed a bunch of work.

Do you know what tests came back negative for Celiac? Do you recall if she was eating gluten before and during the blood draw? How long ago was the test run?

She does seem to be at a higher risk with having been diagnosed with an auto-immune disease. As for the ITP, did you change her diet to avoiding the higher risk foods? Did she have the small purple dots?

I'm not sure what the blood test was that was drawn. It was taken about 1 year ago. She was eating gluten at that time. As for the ITP she only had a few of the dots but had a lot of heavy nose bleeds, a fair bit of bruising and her gums bled when she brushed her teeth. I did not change her diet due to ITP but it did seem to rebound a bit after about 6 months. It has stayed on the low side of normal since then. Thank you for your input any help is appreciated.