val01

Help Please - Pcp Suggesting Biopsy - And Gene Questions!

Rate this topic

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I am hoping to gain some insight into my situation.

I had my 2nd baby in June 2009. I felt like crap after that. It was more than post partum tiredness. Finally, after much to do - my OBGYN tested my thyroid, and sure enough I am very hypothyroid (TSH 9.98). So, I get put on meds, and not feeling much better. I start tracking my food. I narrow it down to "bread" that is making sick. MY PCP diagnoses me with Hashimotos and runs the celiac panel which is negative.

I go through Enterolab and get this -

A) Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 17 Units

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 10 Units

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: Less than 300 Units

Fecal Anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA: 8 Units

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1: 0502

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2: 0402

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,4 (Subtype 5,4)

So, I see my PCP today and give him my Enterolabs. He's honest and says he has no idea what he's looking at or if it's credible. He asks me what about my negative blood test - and then says, ' maybe you need the biopsy?' I

make an appt with a GI doc who is with the CS Association. Should I have the biopsy? I am not sure what it's going to do - other than a label. I have been gluten-free for 2 weeks and feel better with no GI symptoms. Of course, to do the biopsy, I have to go back on gluten. So thoughts?

Also, have a gene related question. So, my alleles are posted above. I think that I am DQ1 and 4. Is it worth getting the alpha chain tested too? Or, do those two alleles not have a celiac/gluten sensitive association given my beta chains?? I hope I am making sense!

Thanks in advance. I am a bit overwhelmed with this.

Valerie

Since you have gone gluten free, you should not bother with further testing. If you do a gluten challenge it is very hard on your body and the results will still be skewed. Unless it is genetic testing. Which you have already done.

I am not sure what it's going to do - other than a label.

There's a lot of folks and some doctors that think it's unnecessary, that just a simple dietary trial is all it takes to diagnose gluten intolerance.

I did this an KNEW it was gluten and haven't looked back! Gluten free for 4-5 years now and quite happy about it.