This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Itchy Rash

lynelleluvsmorti

lynelleluvsmorti Newbie

Hello,

Has anybody had a uncontrollable itchy rash on their elbows, arms, lower legs, and behind the knees? I can't stand it, and it itches so bad I have scabs and I still itch, and the scabs get itched away, and still I itch, even though I am bleeding down my leg. My dermatologist - on my third visit to him - thinkd maybe I have a gluten allergy? I was wondering if any of you have experianced what I am right now, for 7 months now. Thank you, Lynelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kay DH Apprentice

I had a symmetrical rash on the insides of my calves, back, and sometimes arms for about 40 years. Looked like small water blisters and were incredibly itchy. Only things that helped were heavy-duty hydrocordisone cream and clothes that did not rub the rash. Even with snow outside I would wear shorts. I have shown the rashes to doctors over the decades with no diagnosis or biopsy; a Celiac Panel blood test two years ago was negative so, I thought, not a gluten problem. Blood tests are frequently negative with dermatitis herpetiformis (DH). The reason I use past tense for my DH is that the rash is gone, even the itchy area with no visible bumps. It took about 6 months of gluten free after GI problems hit me last fall and I had to go cold turkey on gluten. So, my self-diagnosis is that I have dermatitis herpetiformis. I did not have a skin biopsy around the inflamed area; you might want to do that if you are not now on a gluten-free diet. If it is gluten, then it will probably take longer to disappear than for some other intolerance symptoms, but any decrease in itch is wonderful. It would be handy for you to talk with a dietitian because gluten is hidden in so many foods. All the best with your research. It is hard work but the rewards are worth it.

Archived