This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update On The Gi Appt For My Girls Today

Gardening

Gardening Apprentice

And a big thank you to everyone who answered my questions before!

So.

My younger daughter. She is having both an upper and lower scope done next week (endoscopy and colonoscopy). The GI thinks it looks like celiac except the anal fissures makes her concerned about IBD/Crohn's. She basically said it could be "just" celiac or it could be both. :( She'll have the celiac panel done at the same time, but the doc said the results wouldn't change the approach. My daughter had the good sense :) to poop while we were waiting in the exam room, so I had a diaper to show to doc.

My older daughter. The GI said if at any point we want to do a gluten challenge, we could, but she is not pushing it and she's supportive of us just keeping her gluten-free, since we are seeing progress (including a 1 pound weight gain the past 7 weeks). She agreed that a blood panel would do us no good since she is IGA-deficient, so we'd go straight to a biopsy. She did give me a script for a blood gene test. She showed the Enterolab gene test results to Dr Fasano and he said he doesn't "trust that lab" (huh? not the gene test?). If my daughter needs other blood work done (pretty sure my new nutritionist wants her tested for Lyme, since my little one had it), then I'll add it on, but I'm not racing out to do it.

The GI saw significance in the IGA deficiency, the antibiotic history, and the Lyme. They gave no weight (as far as I can tell) to Enterolab. Yet, obviously E-lab totally called that there was an issue with my younger child.

So there we have it. Now I'm unhappily researching Crohn's and waiting for the procedure next week.

BTW, it turned out my older daughter was severely constipated (everything we've been seeing in her nightly bm's is "overflow") and they want me to do a "total cleanse" - liquid diet for two days :unsure: with heavy doses of Miralax, followed by light doses of Miralax for 6-8 weeks, then a follow-up appointment. I'm glad I brought her in, poor kiddo. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived