This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gas & Heartbeat - Possible Cure

Wind

Wind Newbie

So I came across this message on curezone:

Open Original Shared Link

and thought I would look into it. After doing this on myself I have been feeling MUCH better. There are a few different ways to correct this:

Open Original Shared Link Advertisement/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_246/ai_112728022/

I was breathing shallow from the chest before doing this. I always read about how the "proper" breathing should be done from the abdomen and deep. This seemed unnatural to me and made me queasy just to think about breathing that way. I also was having a great deal of gas leaking out of my stomach and sometimes setting off my wacky heartbeat, among other numerous problems. After doing the "dig your fingers in and pull down" method I've started breathing from the abdomen and have had MUCH less problems. Still going to try the water and jump method to make sure I got everything in its proper place though. Things I've noticed since doing this:

Breathing much easier (with stomach moving in and out with each breath)

No longer aware of my heartbeat at all times

No longer hyper aware of every body process in by torso

Whole body feels "calm". no more "tight spring" running from my neck to belly-button

Can lay on my side again comfortably

So everyone that tries this, please report your results in this thread!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wind Newbie

err... this:

Open Original Shared Link Advertisement/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_246/ai_112728022/

should be:

http:// findarticles .com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_246/ai_112728022/

Without the spaces... don't know why the forum picks it up as an ad. *shrug*

tarnalberry Community Regular

Nothing particularly amazing about it - the breath is tightly connected with the nervous system. The inhalation preferentially activates the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight response - increased heart rate and pupil dilation, decreased digestion, amongst other things). The exhalation preferentially activates the parasympathetic nervous system (relaxation response - decreased heart rate and blood pressure, improved digestion). It's not so much that it's "right" to do belly breathing and "wrong" to do chest breathing, but that it's very important that we are ABLE to do both. Belly breathing (as a natural breath) will get you a deeper breath, which is more calming to the nervous system), but isn't the only thing to do.

You can, by the way, learn a whole heck of a lot about breath by studying pranayama - the yogic practice of breath work.

Korwyn Explorer

I have to say (just from reading the title) I don't WANT a cure for my heartbeat! :D

Wind Newbie

I have to say (just from reading the title) I don't WANT a cure for my heartbeat! :D

You're thinking too much... You know, there is a cure for that.. :P

As to the easier breathing, That was just a nice side-effect. I was mostly concerned with the irregular heartbeat issues. According to some of the web sites I listed even having a *very slight* hiatal hernia can irritate the vagus nerve and wreak havoc on the rest of the body. A good chiropractor will know how to perform the "stomach pull-down", and will teach you how to do it for yourself to keep everything where it belongs, if you would rather have a professional do it.

Archived