This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acne And Gluten

MinnesotaMark

MinnesotaMark Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease as a child, this was back in the early 70's before there was definitive testing I believe.  I was told by a doctor in my teens that probably outgrew the problem and could start eating gluten again.  I didn't develop stomach problems until much later but it didn't take long for me to start breaking out, moderate to sometimes severe acne.  I had super clear skin before that.  I went to a dermatologist at 18 (or so) and was told that there was no connection between diet and acne, I think this was the prevailing thought in the late 80's.  I would eventually develop IBS too in my early 30's but was given an endoscopy and told I did not have celiac, I believe they did a blood test too.

Stomach problems continued into my 30's and 40's until I came across a young vegan online.  She had really beautiful skin and I had remarked how fortunate she was.  One thing led to another and she gave me a bit of an education on diet and skin problems, including acne.  She told me that Gluten was an irritant and that it was probably causing my gut issues and skin problems.  So basically we have a 20 year old girl, no college education who was able ascertain the root of my problems, not the guy who went to school for 12 years to learn about skin.  Once I took her advice, my skin issues improved by about 80 percent, far better than any acne medication I've ever tried.  The last 10 years my issues had been less acne and more hives, rashes and eczema. 

I had a series of life-changing events that put me into a hotel for a few weeks recently.  I made the mistake of going back on gluten, since I was pretty much in survival mode, I didn't think much about it.  Of course within about a week, IBS, pimples, blotches and hives came back.  I finally moved into my home a few days ago and my skin looks awful, quite a few boils on my neck and a couple on my face, huge pores and several whiteheads.  Since I am starting a new job in a couple weeks, I'm wondering how long it might take for things to clear up, now that I am off gluten again.  Also wondering how accurate celiac testing is via endoscopy or blood tests. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Hi MM,

Welcome to the forum! :)

Celiac testing for people with DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) can be different than others.  Your rash could be DH, but a test will tell.  If you have DH, you have celiac disease, because only people with celiac disease get DH.

The testing for DH is to take a biopsy sample of the skin next to a lesion, not on the lesion.  They check the skin sample for IgA antibodies.  You don't need a blood test or endoscopy to determine if a person has DH.  That's a good thing, because people with DH are less likely to show positive on the blood tests or endoscopy.

So, if I suggest you do a search for a celiac support group in your area.  Contact them and ask them to recommend a good celiac aware doctor.

If you did want to get tested thru endoscopy, you should eat gluten every day for at least 2 weeks.  For the blood tests you need to eat gluten for 12 weeks.

susan french Rookie

DH is probably responsible for the skin issues.  One can be gluten free and still have the DH outbreaks along with severe itching.  Sounds like celiac because you never get over that.  A competent dermatologist can take a skin biopsy of one of the lesions.  Like you, I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance, irritable bowel and stress.  Eventually, going to the dermatologist was the best thing ever for me, and I was 67 years old. I have several medications to help with the itching, foremost is dapsone.  Unfortunately dapsone can cause anemia.  

MinnesotaMark Newbie

I'm almost certain I've had DH before but have not had it confirmed by a dermatologist, will see if I can find one who's willing to work with me on that.  When I've experienced what I assume to be DH, mainly on my lower back and further down, almost like insect bites.  What I've lately is more like acne, it all started with eating gluten again after 3 years of not having a pimple.  I have 2.5 cortisone cream, doesn't seem to have any affect.  Seeing my regular doc tomorrow so I'll run the whole thing by her.  Great group, glad I found it and many thanks!

Archived