Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jtangema

Dry Baking Batter

Hi,

I have noticed when i baked waffles, muffins and cake that everytime, the batter seems really dry and thick. I am not leaving out any ingredients and am not using the same brand. Does anyone else have this problem? I tried adding applesauce and that seemed to help. Any suggestions?

Jennifer

Hi,

I have noticed when i baked waffles, muffins and cake that everytime, the batter seems really dry and thick. I am not leaving out any ingredients and am not using the same brand. Does anyone else have this problem? I tried adding applesauce and that seemed to help. Any suggestions?

Jennifer

Did you sift the flour before measuring? That will help. I usually measure very "scant" cups of gluten-free flour and sometimes still have to add a little extra liquid. My pancake recipe calls for 2 cups of flour and I usually put in about 1-3/4. Make sure you're not putting in too much xanthan gum, if you use it. I've noticed that flour mixes with lots of brown rice flour tend to be dry and soak up moisture, so plan to measure scantly rather than add too much extra liquid.