Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cassidy

Pregnancy Causing Intestinal Symptoms?

Guest cassidy

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and for the last 4 weeks or so my bathroom habits haven't been great. In the morning I usually go and it is normal and then 30 minutes to 3 hours later I go again and it is runny. That doesn't happen every day, but some days. Some other days I'll go up to 3 times a day with some of it being runny and some of it not. I haven't added anything suspect to my diet.

I have been feeling so bad because of the pregnancy that other than intestinal symptoms I don't know if I could tell if I was glutened. Even if you had bad morning sickness, could you tell when you were glutened?

I am very careful about what I eat and I don't take any chances with my food. I very rarely gluten myself so I just don't think that is it. Before I got pregnant I had very regular, normal movements so I'm trying to figure out why they are different now.

Do you think these changes are just my body dealing with the pregnancy? I know the pregnancy books say C or D is normal when pregnant, but I don't know if that applies to celiacs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and for the last 4 weeks or so my bathroom habits haven't been great. In the morning I usually go and it is normal and then 30 minutes to 3 hours later I go again and it is runny. That doesn't happen every day, but some days. Some other days I'll go up to 3 times a day with some of it being runny and some of it not. I haven't added anything suspect to my diet.

I have been feeling so bad because of the pregnancy that other than intestinal symptoms I don't know if I could tell if I was glutened. Even if you had bad morning sickness, could you tell when you were glutened?

I am very careful about what I eat and I don't take any chances with my food. I very rarely gluten myself so I just don't think that is it. Before I got pregnant I had very regular, normal movements so I'm trying to figure out why they are different now.

Do you think these changes are just my body dealing with the pregnancy? I know the pregnancy books say C or D is normal when pregnant, but I don't know if that applies to celiacs.

I actually found out i had a glutent intolerance because of my last pregnancy...it kicked in my symptoms really bad...especially in my third trimester. After giving birth it wouldn't let up and then 4 months later my doc told me it was a glutent problem. I will say though, with my first i had problems with D only in the first trimester...you really just never know. There can be alot of ups and downs because the pregnancy is already messing with your digestive system...and then us glutent intolerants have a double whammy!! Good Luck, and this will get better, hang in there!

Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.

Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.

Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

You may have been glutened, BUT do know that the hormones related to pregnancy do a wonder on the gi tract. Not only do these hormones loosen up the joints etc, but other areas - including the intestines. It is not uncommon to have runny stools with pregnancy. Just make sure you take in enough fluids to compensate. Gas will also increase with pregnancy! I had both of these symptoms...no morning sickness however.

Feeling crummy - well, yes, that's part of the first trimester, so do keep that in mind. I slept so much with both my pregnancies...and the second one I felt even worse (don't know if it was b/c he was a boy, b/c I already had a 2.5 year old to chase around, or just b/c I was probably already celiac...just not diagnosed)!

Hang in there. And do know, it's supposed to get better in the second trimester (I have to say though, I never had the dramatic change in energy that is purported to happen!)

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

You may have been glutened, BUT do know that the hormones related to pregnancy do a wonder on the gi tract. Not only do these hormones loosen up the joints etc, but other areas - including the intestines. It is not uncommon to have runny stools with pregnancy. Just make sure you take in enough fluids to compensate. Gas will also increase with pregnancy! I had both of these symptoms...no morning sickness however.

Feeling crummy - well, yes, that's part of the first trimester, so do keep that in mind. I slept so much with both my pregnancies...and the second one I felt even worse (don't know if it was b/c he was a boy, b/c I already had a 2.5 year old to chase around, or just b/c I was probably already celiac...just not diagnosed)!

Hang in there. And do know, it's supposed to get better in the second trimester (I have to say though, I never had the dramatic change in energy that is purported to happen!)

Oh yes, the lack of energy was probably, if not, the worst part...and also my second was worse and i had a three 1/2 year old running around myself. I could've slept all day everyday, and i thought it was just because of the pregnancies, but now i realize it would've been a little better if i had known to be avoiding gluten the whole time.

Gluten Free...negative blood results...absolutely positive diet results.

Dairy Free...absolutely positive diet results.

Egg Free...there goes another one...absolutely positive diet results.

Allergic to Codeine.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which ones may have gluten in them:)"