Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

f-starmach

celiac disease Related Nerve Damage

I have been diagonosed with Celiac in 1998. Since then I am on gluten free diet. Over the years I eliminated many food brands as I experienced the results of my symptoms coming back. I am down to products which specifically indicates "Gluten Free". Over 6 months I have numbness on my left leg. Now I have serious joint ache on my knees. Currenlty my doctor ordered Brain MRI for me. I don't want to get Brain MRI because I have a feeling my nerve damage is not in my brain it is on my lower left side back. Numbess starts from there. I also hate getting into those MRI machines. Would nerve damage be visible by Brain MRI?

Thank you,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have been diagonosed with Celiac in 1998. Since then I am on gluten free diet. Over the years I eliminated many food brands as I experienced the results of my symptoms coming back. I am down to products which specifically indicates "Gluten Free". Over 6 months I have numbness on my left leg. Now I have serious joint ache on my knees. Currenlty my doctor ordered Brain MRI for me. I don't want to get Brain MRI because I have a feeling my nerve damage is not in my brain it is on my lower left side back. Numbess starts from there. I also hate getting into those MRI machines. Would nerve damage be visible by Brain MRI?

Thank you,

With the nerve damage that comes from celiac the answer is yes. It will often show up on an MRI as what they call unidentified bright objects or UBO's. US doctors are not real up on this and will sometimes say they are an anomoly but in many other countries they are diagnostic of celiac.

I am a neuropredominant celiac and I found that I have to be especially vigilant to issues of CC and non food sources of gluten but I have regained much of the neuro function that I had lost.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)