Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billroth 2

Camping (the Hard Way)

Hi, All:

I'm new to this site, so forgive me if you've seen this kind of topic before. Here's the thing; I'm about to embark on my first camping trip. However, I really don't do too well with processed foods -- stuff out of cans, things with palm oil, or partially hydronated oils -- and my mind is drawing a blank as to what to bring. It'd be great if I could simply cook all the time, but as this is a hiking trip too, taking the time to do this is going to be impractical.

If you've any suggestions, or links etc., I'd really appreciated it.

Thanks. This site has proved more than helpfull so far in many other respects.

Billroth 2.

Hi, All:

I'm new to this site, so forgive me if you've seen this kind of topic before. Here's the thing; I'm about to embark on my first camping trip. However, I really don't do too well with processed foods -- stuff out of cans, things with palm oil, or partially hydronated oils -- and my mind is drawing a blank as to what to bring. It'd be great if I could simply cook all the time, but as this is a hiking trip too, taking the time to do this is going to be impractical.

If you've any suggestions, or links etc., I'd really appreciated it.

Thanks. This site has proved more than helpfull so far in many other respects.

Billroth 2.

Here are the responses I got:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry320000

I just got back from a 3 day, 31 mile backpacking trip and I can't eat any grains (including rice and corn), no dairy, no eggs, no sugar, no soy, no nuts, no dried fruit etc. So it is a bit heavier, but doable and still fun.

I cooked a whole bunch of carrots and green beans before I left, put them in the deep-freeze and then packed them in a tupperware wrapped in newspaper to insulate and put them deep in my pack. They lasted the whole trip and it was up to 90 F in the day. I took some canned tuna (not sure if you can tolerate) that. If not, maybe you can take peanut or other nut butters for protein or possibly powdered eggs (no added ingredients). I took some bananas and avocados (not very ripe) and they lasted for two days.

Some ideas: justtomatoes.com sells all kinds of dried fruits and veggies that have NO added ingredients whatsoever so they should be safe for you. If you can eat corn, plain tortillas with nut butter and bananas make a good lunch. If you can eat dairy, cheddar and hard cheeses keep for at least a week. Rice and beans make a good dinner. If you put them to soak in a wide-mouth water bottle in the morning, they will cook fast in the evening. GORP is great way of getting energy for hiking during the day. Cream of rice with some fruit and a handful of nuts is a breakfast that will keep you going. Also, there has been a previous post on this site (can't remember the title) on freeze-dried food (Mountain aire) that is gluten free.