Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sickchick

Wheat Free Calimari

Crispy Calimari

from The Big Book of Wheat-Free Cooking

Gluten-free, Dairy-free

Serves 2

2 Heaped tablespoons of wheat-free flour mix* , seasoned with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne

1 large organic free-range egg, beaten

1 heaped cup of fine homemade wheat-free breadcrumbs*

2 large squid, cleaned and cut into rings (use the tentacles if liked)

Enough sunflower oil to shallow fry

1 unwaxed lemon, quartered to serve

homemade garlic mayonnaise or tartare sauce

* Celiacs please use gluten-free ingredients

Place four plates in front of you. Put the seasoned flour on one, the beaten egg on the second, the crumbs on the third and keep the fourth plate empty.

Dip the prepared squid into the seasoned flour, then into the beaten egg and finally into the crumbs and pile them onto the fourth plate. Repeat until all the squid rings are coated.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan (skillet) and shallow fry about half the rings in one batch.

Drain them on kitchen paper and keep hot in the oven, or on a hot plate, whilst you quickly fry the remaining squid.

Drain this last batch on kitchen paper. Serve the squid immediately with the lemon quarters and dipping sauce.

I got this recipe from a health food magazine:

1 organic egg at room temp.

1/2 tsp dry mustard

1/4 tsp salt ( I use kosher)

1 1/4 cup light olive oil

3 tbs. lemon juice

roasted garlic, 5 cloves (or if your lazy like me you can get some from your grocer in the produce section it comes in a small jar about $1.99) :lol:;)

Process egg, mustard, salt and 1/4 c of the olive oil in a blender or food processor for 1 minute, While blender is running, add 1/2 cup more olive oil, then add lemon juice and remaining oil. Scrape down sides while running and add a heaping tablespoon of garlic until combined.

Store in fridge in glass jar.

...you could add dill if you want too!