Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kbabe1968

Pumpkin Squares

Okay ladies & gents, with the holiday fast approaching, I thought I'd share a successful recipe with ya'll. My husbands stepmother makes this as a gluten food, so I had to figure out how to do it gluten free.

It turned out so yummy.

OH...and a whole room full of gluten eaters had NO IDEA it was gluten free!

Hope you enjoy. :D

Pumpkin Squares

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

CRUST: (see note below)

3/4 Cups White Rice Flour

1/4 + 1/8 Cup Tapioca Flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp Xantham Gum

3 Tbs Dry Milk Powder

3 Tbs Vanilla Pudding Powder

1/2 + 1/8 Cup sugar (granulated)

1/4 Cup melted butter

1 egg white

Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Reserve 1/2 cup and set aside to be used for crumb topping. Combine the remaining dry ingredients with melted butter and egg white. Press into the bottom of a greased 8" square cake pan (or 9" round, or pie pan will work too).

FILLING:

1 15 oz can pumpkin

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp powdered cinnamon

1/2 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

pinch ground cloves

1 egg

1/3 cup milk

Mix all together very well and spread over pressed cake mix layer in pan. (NOTE: You can use 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice in place of all of the spices).

TOPPING:

Reserved 1/2 Cup of cake ingredients

2 Tbs brown sugar

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

2 tbs butter

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Mix cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon together. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or pulse a few times in a food processor to make crumbly). Sprinkle liberally over the pumpkin layer. Sprinkle with walnuts.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until top is browned but not burned.

Allow to cool completely, and refridgerate for a couple hours, or overnight. (honestly, like you'll really be able to wait that long! LOL :D)

Serve with whipped cream. OR ice cream! :D

The recipe will double easily to make a 9X13 pan. I recommend baking for 45-50 minutes if you increase the size of the squares.

CRUST/TOPPING NOTE: You can use a gluten free yellow cake mix if you like. I haven't tested it that way, but I would imagine it would be fine.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Join eNewsletter