This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When Will I Know If The Diet Is Working?

ouatic

ouatic Newbie

I have had medical issues for years and years and have probably had enough tests run for any 3 or 4 people. Anyway they have found many things wrong with me but have never been able to "fix me". I have recently returned to school and no longer have the money to fund extensive medical research (OK well maybe it just feels like I have been) :P . The B12 shots that I have to take once a week have helped me to be functional. I have had many digestive tests run and they were not positive for celiac. The biopsy even came back negative. But I have learned that test results aren't always correct. So last week I decided to go gluten free to see if it would help me. How long should I give the diet??? Also, if I accidentally eat gluten in the early stage will I need to wait longer? Are there any symptoms I should expect to have if I accidentally eat gluten if I do have a problem with it?

Just for background information I am a 38 year old female. and here is a list of what I have been dx'd with:

Hashimoto's thyroiditis

Polycystic ovarian syndrom

B-12 deficiency (levels were at 250)

vitamin D deficiency

Various allergies (environmental, tomatoes, lemons, lobster, aparagus, pears)

chondroititis (inflammation of ribcage)

plantarfascitis (bottom of feet swells)

GERD

many digestional issues

suffer from extreme fatigue

also just general inflammation problems

**and probably others I have forgotten

I have also began to wonder if the itchy bumps on my head might be DH.

Anyway thanks for any help on what to expect from starting the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfpaperdoll Rookie

I would give it at least 3 months - because at first you are going to unknowingly get some gluten...

yep, your list is the typical laundry list that is different for each person & no one can put it all together.

I bet you have even left out some things...

how are your teeth? any cavities?

do you still have your appendics? gall bladder?

I used to get those bumps on my head - it is caused from using a shampoo with wheat or another gluten ingrdient as an ingredient.

You will read that people say - "topical gluten will not bother you" - hummm, do not believe it. even the lady that is the leader of my support group says that - well not for me - maybe for her - but I do not want any gluten in my soaps, hand lotion etc... In addition to being intolerant some of us are also allergic - not a good combination. I get sick eating at some of the places that my support group eats...

ouatic Newbie

Thanks for the info. I knew that upfront I would mess up some and gluten myself so I wasn't sure how to deal with that. I think I am doing ok with the diet at this point in the process. However, after reading this site it looks like I need to make some changes in my kitchen. My husband isn't fully going gluten-free but has no problems eating what I cook. I did check my shampoo and it does have wheat in it. That stuff shows up in the darndest places. <_<

Yeah I didn't list all of my medical issues. There are too many of them. I do have three small cavities and one of my front teeth "died" and gave itself a root canal according to my dentist :huh: And I do have my apendics but not my gall bladder. I didn't have gall stones it was just infected and causing pain :blink: I had to convince the surgeon that my gall bladder was my problem because all the test came back saying it was ok. When he finally agreed to do the surgery he had to spend extra time looking around at my spleen or pancreas??? and stuff to make sure the infection he found had not spread. He was concerned that he almost didn't agree to do the surgery.

I'm really hoping going gluten free helps with my fatigue and other health problems. I would also love to get rid of these itchy bumps on my head.

Thanks again for the response!!

MDRB Explorer

Hi,

I would say between one and three months to see a difference. I went gluten free without seeing a doctor and then had to go back onto the gluten for a month to get a diagnosis and I became really really ill from it. So if the diet does help and you do decide to get a biopsy done be prepared for it and take some time off work/school.

The toiletries thing is a tough one. Some people are certain that they don't react to any gluten in toiletries. Others find that shampoo/soap gets in their mouth and want to avoid it because of that. Some people have a allergy to wheat (rather than an intolerance to the protein gluten) and may react to toiletries because they have a topical (allergic) reaction. Its a tough call to make, I would suggest that you maybe not bother at this stage, but if you are still experiencing symptoms later on, perhaps consider changing your toiletries. Personally all I have changed is my lipstick and hand soap.

Good luck on the diet, I hope it works well for you.

ouatic Newbie

Thanks for the response

If the diet works I don't think I'm going to bother with the diagnosis. I've had my fill of doctors at this point. Besides it would be awhile before I could even think about being able to afford those kinds of tests again. (returned to school -part time job- no insurance ) <_<

Because of the itchy bumps on my head I'm going to at least replace my shampoo in hopes that it helps. The itching drives me crazy and I had started to notice that it was worse right after I would wash my hair. I thought that maybe the water on the bumps irritated them and thats why they itched more. Now I'm wondering if it was just the shampoo. Anyway I do have some shampoo I think is safe and I'm going to try it and hope it helps. If removing the shampoo helps I'll probably go ahead and remove anything else I find with wheat in it just to try to avoid this awful itchy stuff.

Started being gluten-free on may 12th 2008 :D

purple Community Regular

My daughter had those itchy bumps on her head and her arms too. It was b/c her liver wasn't working. So the doc has been giving her injections of glutathione to help it. If your liver doesn't work everything else slows down and you get allergies. After the first or second injection we noticed the back of her hair was really greasy even after 2 washings. The doc said that is where the liver drains, weird. Reminds me of a dirty oil filter in a car. We also noticed bumps on her face during this time that are gone. They were not pimples or rashy, just little bumps that were kinda yellowy and hard looking. She doesn't itch anymore and no more greasy hair. Going gluten-free and the injections have helped her body get back to normal.

Archived