itsallgood

Please Help Interpret Results

Rate this topic

Can you help interpret these?

Endomysial Antibody Screen IgG POSITIVE*

The IgG class Endomysial Antibody screen is positive and a titer performed.

ENDOYMYSIAL ANTIBODY -IGG TITER 1:10* (REFERENCE RANGE: <1:5)

Tissue Transglutiminase Ab, IgA/IgG

Tissue 2.6 (Ref. Range: <4)

Transglutiminase Ab, IgA,S

Tissue 3.8 (Ref. Range: <6.0)

Gliadin Ab, IgA, S

3.4 (Ref. Ranges: <20 Negative, 20.0-30.0 Weak Positive, > 30.0 Positive) this one I'm curious about. Seems like 3.4 is very low? Is that something to consider?

The Dr. from Mayo wrote:

(EMA-G is detected in this patient's serum by indirect immunoflourescence microscopy). Presence of EMA-G in individuals with congenital IgA deficiency is specific for Celiac Disease. EMA-G may also be positive in celiac disease patients who are not IgA deficient; such patients generally have higher titers of EMA-A than EMA-G. celiac disease patients usually do not lose EMA-G on a gluten-free diet; therefore, this test cannot be used to monitor dietary compliance. I personally reviewed this study and this report represents my interpretation of the findings.

Immunopathologist (his name)

*=abnormal

Your test results were postive for celiac. You don't have a total IGA listed so I don't know if you are IGA defiecient but with the other test being postive that doesn't really matter. If you are not going to have an endo than go ahead and go gluten free asap. If you're having the endo then wait till that is done before starting the diet.

Your test results were postive for celiac. You don't have a total IGA listed so I don't know if you are IGA defiecient but with the other test being postive that doesn't really matter. If you are not going to have an endo than go ahead and go gluten free asap. If you're having the endo then wait till that is done before starting the diet.

The only thing I can find is: Immunoglobulin 98. This one was on a separate page. Anyway, these results are for one of my kids, and this is why doctors frustrate me:

We asked for Celiac panel cuz other son diagnosed (went gluten-free the day after blood taken)

Doctor reported back that he was negative

A couple weeks later the nurse called with results and said he was positive.

I asked her, "are you sure you've got the right kid? The Dr. said he was negative?" put me on hold...

She came back and said the Dr. said that he was "marginally positive and that he would not use this test to confirm Celiac."

After calling twice for the specific name of the test, number and range, I showed up to get a copy myself. I looked at the dates of the labs as they came in to the dr.

He reported that he was negative when there were still three tests pending! Seriously, this makes me want to get another dr. I really think he realized his snafoo and is covering his ***. We declined an endo referral, because my other son has had such a positive response and the biopsy is so invasive. I can tell that the pediatrician is not up to speed on the latest Celiac info., which is scary because my other son, Type 1 diabetic and Celiac sees him as well. The thought of Dr. hunting again is daunting. There are really only two that I can find near here that they can both see. I really wanted them to have the same dr. because of the diabetes and family history element...someone to see the big picture. In my experience, gastros just want to do test after test and call everything IBS. Sorry, I'm bitter.

Your frustration is certainly understandable. Doctors really need to get up on celiac in this country so many are so uneducated. Fortunately we can do the only thing that can be done, the diet, without doctors help. It is nice to get a clear cut diagnosis but sometimes that is just beyond today's medicine. The body knows the answer though. I think your doing the right thing putting him on the diet. With more than one gluten sensitive person in the home it might be a good idea to just have a gluten free house.

Thanks for replying. Sometimes it helps just to know people understand. We have just made it through our first gluten-free Christmas and it was good. Only a couple of hiccups, but otherwise more doable than I had imagined when we first started. We do have a gluten-free house now, and everybody feels better. Thanks again .

Itsallgood,

Have you posted under 'Doctors' a requested for a doctor in your town/area? If you post your town and state there you might find other celiacs in your area that know of a doctor who understand celiac disease. Much easier hunting there.

So glad to hear your gluten free Christmas went well!