This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Can Someone Pls Interpret Lab Results?

Lgood22573

Lgood22573 Rookie

I'm not sure what this means. Is Celiac and gluten sensitivity/allergy the same thing? I'm not any more sure if I have Celiac than before I paid for the genetic testing. I know it's long, but I would really appreciate any input. So do I have it or not?

A) Gluten Sensitivity Stool and Gene Panel Complete *Best test/best value

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA: 57 Units

Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA: 98 Units

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score: Less than 300 Units

Fecal Anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA: 17 Units

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1: 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2: 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units): Intestinal antigliadin IgA antibody was elevated, indicating that you have active dietary gluten sensitivity. For optimal health, resolution of symptoms (if you have them), and prevention of small intestinal damage and malnutrition, osteoporosis, and damage to other tissues (like nerves, brain, joints, muscles, thyroid, pancreas, other glands, skin, liver, spleen, among others), it is recommended that you follow a strict and permanent gluten free diet. As gluten sensitivity is a genetic syndrome, you may want to have your relatives screened as well.

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units): You have an autoimmune reaction to the human enzyme tissue transglutaminase, secondary to dietary gluten sensitivity.

Interpretation of Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score (Normal Range is less than 300 Units): Provided that dietary fat is being ingested, a fecal fat score less than 300 indicates there is no malabsorbed dietary fat in stool indicating that digestion and absorption of nutrients is currently normal.

Interpretation of Fecal Anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA (Normal Range is less than 10 Units): Levels of fecal IgA antibody to a food antigen greater than or equal to 10 are indicative of an immune reaction, and hence immunologic "sensitivity" to that food. For any elevated fecal antibody level, it is recommended to remove that food from your diet. Values less than 10 indicate there currently is minimal or no reaction to that food and hence, no direct evidence of food sensitivity to that specific food. However, because 1 in 500 people cannot make IgA at all, and rarely, some people can still have clinically significant reactions to a food antigen despite the lack of a significant antibody reaction (because the reactions primarily involve T cells), if you have an immune syndrome or symptoms associated with food sensitivity, it is recommended that you try a strict removal of suspect foods from your diet for up to 12 months despite a negative test.

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: Although you do not possess the main HLA-DQB1 genes predisposing to celiac sprue (HLA-DQB1*0201 or HLA-DQB1*0302), HLA gene analysis reveals that you have two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity (any DQ1, DQ2 other than by HLA-DQB1*0201, or DQ3 other than by HLA-DQB1*0302). Furthermore, HLA-DQ2 genes other than by HLA-DQB1*0201 can be associated with celiac sprue in rare cases. Having two copies of a gluten sensitive gene means that each of your parents and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of the gene. Two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity may be more severe.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

yes, you are one of us :P Welcome to the gluten free world! We're here to answer any questions you may have.

IMHO , gluten sensitivity is just Celiac before it causes major intestinal damage. Either way, the fix is a lifelong gluten free diet,

Lgood22573 Rookie

Thank you Wolicki. It sounds strange, but I have suffered so long I JUST NEED TO KNOW. It's like some kind of personal vendetta or something. Thank you for the welcome.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yep you are one of us. Welcome. You are also positive to casien so be sure to drop dairy too.

nora-n Rookie

Your antibodies are really high.

On the gene test: This is the one result that Enterolab is really lousy at, the Trans DQ2.

It seems like you actually have the main celiac gene, DQ2.

Check wikipedia and HLA DQ and HLA DQ2 and you will see what I mean.

Most DQ2 have cis DQ2, and are DR3 ( Open Original Shared Link , Open Original Shared Link ) the alpha chain is 0501 and the beta chain 0201. These genes make up the DQ2 molecule. (gense and molecule are not the same thing..)

But it is possible to make up the same DQ2 molecule by DQ2,2, which is DR7 , the beta chain 0202 (which usually has the alpha chain 0701) plus DQ7 which has alpha 0505 and beta 0301.

Open Original Shared Link

We have seen here before that Enterolab has not put two and two together and notified DQ2,2-and DQ7-positives that they most likely are DQ2 (DQ2,5, the celiac DQ2 type)

Lgood22573 Rookie

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to reply, it means a lot and I really appreciate it. It helps to have a better understanding.

Lisa

Archived