Diana99

Testing For Celiac After Being Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for several years and now one of my sons is having similar problems so I decided to be tested for celiac. The doctor told me to consume gluten for one week before testing, but I have read that you should have gluten consumption for at least 3 to 6 months. Does any one have any idea about this. I will be having a blood test and endoscopy.

Very confused.

The research organizations recommend the equivalent of 3-4 slices of bread daily, up to six to eight weeks.

Why not just have your son tested?

The research organizations recommend the equivalent of 3-4 slices of bread daily, up to six to eight weeks.

Why not just have your son tested?

He is away at school now and is on his own and the doctor thought I should be tested also, but my app't is January 19th and I am still gluten free. Not sure what to do.

He is away at school now and is on his own and the doctor thought I should be tested also, but my app't is January 19th and I am still gluten free. Not sure what to do.

Cancel the appointment, get back on a gluten diet and reschedule for 3 months from now. Did you originally get diagnosed with celiac? Were you ill, self diagnosed and recovered gluten free? That's pretty valid as far as diagnosis goes, IMHO. If you get ill on the challenge that is valid also.

You son can and should be tested no matter what the results of your test. I personally see no need to test you first and then go off those results to decide whether to test your son. If he is having issues he should be tested.

Cancel the appointment, get back on a gluten diet and reschedule for 3 months from now. Did you originally get diagnosed with celiac? Were you ill, self diagnosed and recovered gluten free? That's pretty valid as far as diagnosis goes, IMHO. If you get ill on the challenge that is valid also.

You son can and should be tested no matter what the results of your test. I personally see no need to test you first and then go off those results to decide whether to test your son. If he is having issues he should be tested.

Thank you so much! Really appreciate your feedback. I was blood tested years ago which was negative....also after having been gluten free, just consumed gluten for a week before the blood test. I have been sick most of my life. Had many food allergies as a child. Been to naturopaths and was told to go off gluten. In November I ate some desserts while in Las Vegas and became quite sick after for about one week. After the week, back off gluten, I began to feel great. I would like to know if I have celiac as I have been diagnosed with IBS in the past. I am just so confused right now because I am actually feeling well and wondering if I should start with the gluten as I know it will make me sick.

Thanks again for your feedback.