plumz64

Wondering About Dairy?

Rate this topic

I should get the results of my blood and stool tests next week. I had thought I should wait till then to make any dietary changes, but I really don't want to delay feeling better.

I have just rid my cupboards and fridge of all gluten containing foods. It

If dairy doesn't bother you, there is reason to limit it. "May contain a trace..." can often be a disclaimer. Give it a try and see how you feel. That's often a personal choice based on experience.

Don't forget to think of your local Food Bank when you're getting rid of those gluten foods. Someone is always hungry.

When my daughter had her endoscopy, we actually got test results that showed she was making lactase. It was below the desired level but not too bad. We bought the lactaid (type) milk and lactaid chewables for occassions when she consumed a lot of dairy in one sitting. If it was just a little cheese or just a little yogurt we didn't bother with the chewable. We eventually took her off all of it after about 3 months gluten free.

Here's a list of dairy products with their lactose values . . . I recommend that you don't sit down and eat a cup of unreconstituted powdered milk. :P

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutrition/LactoseContent.pdf

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to switch to lactose free milk and to limit, but not eliminate cheese and yoghurt and see how I go. Someone suggested soy, but I don't really want to do that at this stage.

Here's a list of dairy products with their lactose values . . . I recommend that you don't sit down and eat a cup of unreconstituted powdered milk. :P

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/digestive-health/nutrition/LactoseContent.pdf

Thank you so much for posting this list. I am recently gluten free (have been on gluten-free diet for a couple of months but just this past week got rid of the lip balms, skin creams, etc. that were still making me sick) and today I ate a small bowl of rice chex with whole milk and had violent cramping and sweating and sickness within 15 minutes. Completely unexpected! I eat low fat string cheese and cottage cheese all the time and have never had trouble...really caught me off guard. But the relative levels of lactose make it a lot easier to understand. Really appreciate it!

Thank you so much for posting this list. I am recently gluten free (have been on gluten-free diet for a couple of months but just this past week got rid of the lip balms, skin creams, etc. that were still making me sick) and today I ate a small bowl of rice chex with whole milk and had violent cramping and sweating and sickness within 15 minutes. Completely unexpected! I eat low fat string cheese and cottage cheese all the time and have never had trouble...really caught me off guard. But the relative levels of lactose make it a lot easier to understand. Really appreciate it!

It may not be the milk at all. Rice Chex is a common source of cross-contamination for me. I'd be more tempted to test your theory by just drinking 4 oz of straight milk and seeing what happens with just that. It removes any possible cross-contamination issues and any other variables.

I had thought I was lactose intolerant for many years until I realized that I could DRINK milk just fine - but the culprit in the bowl of cereal (even non-wheat ones) was the cereal and not the milk.

if you are worried about trying soy, take a look at rice and/or almond milk. I have a mild sensitivity/allergy to milk, so i only eat cheese/sour cream/etc in moderation, but i do not drink or cook with milk. I cook with rice milk now (and often rice flour for sauces) and I don't notice a taste difference, although there is a consistency difference and it takes getting used to for cooking because it absorbs differently. But my family (who doesnt eat gluten, and cooks with 2% all the time) didnt notice a difference at all in a casserole I made, and they can be very picky! almond milk is sweet, you might like it on gluten-free cereal.

just wanted you to know that there are options other than soy that aren't scary :) although i would not recommend drinking a glass of rice milk, unless you really really like the taste of rice. in liquid form.