KristenInWA

Test Results Back - Can Someone Interpret?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I finally got my 'celiac package' back (YAY!) from my doctor's office, and this is what it's showing:

Anti endomysial, IgA: Negative

Anti Gliadin, IgA: 4

Anti Gliadin, IgG: 65

Anti tTransglutaminase, IgA: 2

The results say that my anti-gliadin IgG is 'low positive' with a reference between 61 and 90 for low positive.

I've been lowish carb for about a year now, and have not been eating bread in particular.

Based on this information as I had mentioned in a separate post, the doctor recommended I eat wheat products every day for two weeks and come back in to get a re-draw. I started yesterday and am feeling gross - bloated, gassy and generally icky.

Any information you have on what this means would be wonderful.

If you have been gluten lite, which it sounds as though you have, it can most definitely affect your test results. And to be honest, two weeks is probably not going to be enough. Your tests do indicate something's going on, so it seems as though you are on the right track.

Yes, two weeks is probably not enough. I was gluten light for six months and five weeks of much gluten did not give a positive biopsy. Should have been more like 6 weeks to three months, in my case maybe three months or more.

I have not seen anywhere in the literature that gluten challenges have lsated only two weeks. I have seen 6 weeks and three months and six months, even up to six years.

(they put some diagnosed celiacs back on gluten and tested them repeatedly and it took from six weeks to six years, all of them went positive I think. In the old days they used to tink celiac was a childhood thing and that they outgrew it)

Yes, two weeks is probably not enough. I was gluten light for six months and five weeks of much gluten did not give a positive biopsy. Should have been more like 6 weeks to three months, in my case maybe three months or more.

I have not seen anywhere in the literature that gluten challenges have lsated only two weeks. I have seen 6 weeks and three months and six months, even up to six years.

(they put some diagnosed celiacs back on gluten and tested them repeatedly and it took from six weeks to six years, all of them went positive I think. In the old days they used to tink celiac was a childhood thing and that they outgrew it)

Also, be advised that it depends very heavily on what you call "wheat". Eating junky white bread will get you far less "wheat" in your diet than something with a normal concentration of wheat gluten in it. So, "eating wheat" is really a vague term, and your doctor should have been much more specific, if he/she really understands whats going on here...

My advice would be, if you really want/need "proof" of your ailment, then get a DNA test done also, and stop piddling around with serology antibody tests, which, because of their average sensitivity and specificity, are not very accurate. Of course, your biopsy antibody tests will be more accurate than the basic serology, but invasive...and less accurate than a DNA test combined with your already existing symptoms and antibody results.

If you don't need a "diagnosis" for medical or insurance reasons, then just follow the gluten free diet; you already know you need to.