Coleslawcat

Please Help Interpret These Results

Rate this topic

After my diagnosis, my sister had all 5 of her kids tested. They have all shown some symptoms, some more than others. She got the results back today and was told to take 3 of them to a GI doctor, but the doctor said the results were not positive for celiac. I don't really know what the numbers mean, but I thought it was impossible to rule out celiac just based on the test results.

Niece 9: Normal, didn't give any numbers

Niece 7: ige 0.07, igg 3.02, gliadin 29

Nephew 5: ige 0.01, igg 0.98

Niece 3: ige 0.04, igg 4.12, triglycerides 192

Niece 13 mo: ige 0.05, igg 0.98, triglycerides 229, cholesterol 214

I'm worried they won't get properly diagnosed. He said my nephews results were ok and he didn't need to see a GI doctor. He referred my 3 youngest nieces. Oddly enough, it's my oldest niece that has the most severe symptoms including a failure to thrive diagnosis. If you have any ideas what these numbers might mean I would really appreciate it.

After my diagnosis, my sister had all 5 of her kids tested. They have all shown some symptoms, some more than others. She got the results back today and was told to take 3 of them to a GI doctor, but the doctor said the results were not positive for celiac. I don't really know what the numbers mean, but I thought it was impossible to rule out celiac just based on the test results.

Niece 9: Normal, didn't give any numbers

Niece 7: ige 0.07, igg 3.02, gliadin 29

Nephew 5: ige 0.01, igg 0.98

Niece 3: ige 0.04, igg 4.12, triglycerides 192

Niece 13 mo: ige 0.05, igg 0.98, triglycerides 229, cholesterol 214

I'm worried they won't get properly diagnosed. He said my nephews results were ok and he didn't need to see a GI doctor. He referred my 3 youngest nieces. Oddly enough, it's my oldest niece that has the most severe symptoms including a failure to thrive diagnosis. If you have any ideas what these numbers might mean I would really appreciate it.

It would be very helpful to post the reference ranges from the lab, so we can tell.

It would be very helpful to post the reference ranges from the lab, so we can tell.

Hmm, this is all of the info my sister gave me, let me find out if she has anymore details.

Class 1 IgE: .05-.14

Class 0/1 IgE: >0 but less than .05

Gliadin: >17 is positive

The current celiac tests that many patients get done are:

Tissue transglutaminase IgA

Total IgA just to check if the above (or any other IgA type test) is valid

Then there are some more that not all get done:

Endomysium antibody tests, EMA, and old reliable test

Antigliadin IgA the old celiac test

and it is very wise to get the IgG versions of the tissue transglutaminase and antigliadin tests done anyway. Children do make little IgA in general.

Then there is this new test for deaminated gliadin which is not so widely used yet.

IgE has nothing to do with celiac.

I see the one antigliadin (gliadin Ab) was postive, and some say this is more reliable in children.

I would definitely try to get the one with failure to thrive to a gastroenterologist, no matter what the blood tests say. The biopsy is the gold standard and blood tests may be negative.