Finally!

"Brain Damage" - Brain Fog, Memory Loss, Etc.

Rate this topic

Gluten vs. Brain   

9 members have voted

1. 1. How was your brain affected?

• "Brain fog"
    • General memory loss
    • Insomnia
    • Depression
    • Speech / Language affected
    • Migraines
    • Other problems (see my reply)
    • Edited to add: Balance problems
    • Edited to add: Ataxia (coordination problems)
  2. 2. Has your speech / language changed? How about math?

• Started forgetting names of people, streets, cities
    • Would search for a word and never find it
    • Mistakes in very basic grammar when speaking (ie., "she have", "you was", etc.)
    • Random word slips (e.g. "She lost" instead of "She looked")
    • Switching around letters when writing, sounds and syllables when talking
    • Basic quick math got complicated all of a sudden
    • More complex math or logic concepts became harder to grasp
    • Problems with figuring out mechanical solutions (for example, in things like house improvement, car repair, appliance manuals, etc.)
  3. 3. Any other strange effects?

• My sense of smell was damaged
    • One of my eyes would not work properly once in a while
    • The perception of hot and cold is out of sync
    • Edited to add: Hearing issues (keep asking "What did he just say?", "What did she say?")

Now that I have the celiac diagnosis, the puzzle starts to click together. Many symptoms that bothered me start to make sense now. I used to feel like a candidate for an early Alzheimer's mentally, and like a future MS diagnosis physically, and I would just tell myself I needed to stop being such a hypochondriac. Then things got worse. You know, the "I told you I was sick!" writing on a gravestone type of worse. :) And now I understand why I was feeling so awful for so long.

But I still think, maybe I was imagining things?

So I thought I should ask here and get a reality check. Let's see what is really going on.

Me to. In additon to the issues I checked I also had ataxia, problems with balance. I know what you mean about dementia, I had times when I would forget where my keys went into the car. I couldn't tell someone to bring me anything as simple as a fork and know that word would come out of my mouth. There was a lot of pointing and 'thingys' back then. I have improved a great deal but do still have problems at times with getting words out. It's like reading from a script with half the words blanked out.

You need to look into vitamin B12 defiency from Celiac and/or Pernicious Anemia.

Lucky, today the sublingual B12 vitamins are thought to be as effective as the shots.

You need to look into vitamin B12 defiency from Celiac and/or Pernicious Anemia.

Lucky, today the sublingual B12 vitamins are thought to be as effective as the shots.

Yep, I'm B-12ing myself for sure! But it's truly amazing how much damage it can do.

PS. I can't see this topic in the forums - does it mean it has to be pinned to appear?