sandy-sas

Do You Have To Have Low Iron As A Symtom?

Rate this topic

Hi,

If you have celiac disease doesn't that mean that your body can't absorb the nutrients in the food you eat? So for example if iron levels actually go up since the last blood test would that kind of rule out celiac?

Thanks

Sandy

Absorption varies with the degree of damage to the intestines. Anemia is a common symptom, but does not occur in every case. I would not use a rise in iron levels to rule out celic disease.

Absorption varies with the degree of damage to the intestines. Anemia is a common symptom, but does not occur in every case. I would not use a rise in iron levels to rule out celic disease.

Thanks!

My guess is not necessarily. It would depend on your diet. Also men tend to have less problems with iron then women. In fact usually the opposite problem.

Also, vitamin C can affect the absorption of iron supplements. So you should try to avoid both at the same time.

There are just a lot of factors to consider.

In addition, iron levels can be affected by genetics - for instance, I have hemochromatosis which makes my iron levels high if untreated. Between thyroid and iron and gluten issues, I've found some symptoms end up canceling themselves out until I change treatments.

I am new to this whole gluten caper, but I have always had low iron. If it has anything to do with gluten problems, I dont know. But I have never been a big meat eater. I have also always had low magnesium levels. They didn't even really measure on the first test.