tomtom009

New, Would Love Some Feedback

Rate this topic

So I recently discovered that I might have celiac. I am a hispanic male, age 28 with celiac in the family (although a very tiny percentage). As far as I can guess I have had this for almost 8 years. I just kinda learned to live with it and since my symptoms were limited the few times I actually went to the doctor with my concerns, were mostly just a waste of time. My main (and pretty much only noticeable symptom) is constant bloating, pretty much after anything I eat and occasionally just at random times regardless of food intake. I started taking BEANO before meals about a year ago and it has really helped, but nowhere close to "solving" the problem. Today I am beginning a no gluten diet on the advice of a friend living with celiac. It's going to be a BIG change for me since I pretty much have been eating anything I want over the past 8 years (although I kicked soda and beer a long time ago). Like I said, I've been just living with the results, figuring there was nothing I could do, until I discovered this illness.

Has anyone had a similar situation like mine?

upon further review I found something interesting. I've read countless stories of Mono having triggered Celiac. I had mono 8 years ago... about the same time I can remember my stomach problems starting.

upon further review I found something interesting. I've read countless stories of Mono having triggered Celiac. I had mono 8 years ago... about the same time I can remember my stomach problems starting.

Many people here have found that a virus, surgery or giving birth was a trigger for celiac. For me, it was a double whammy of losing my mom and getting Lyme disease.

I wouldn't be surprised if mono was a common trigger.

Here's something to think about- you mentioned you are Hispanic. I'm Irish and there is some evidence that celiac is higher in certain populations because our ancestors didn't eat wheat. I know this is true of Northern European nationalities- Ireland certainly wasn't growing any wheat. And lactose intolerance is higher in African-Americans because most Africans did not drink cow's milk.

So, the "suggestion" in this research is to eat what your ancestors eat and though it may sound stereotypical, I do much better with potato and root vegetable based foods (and meat)which would make sense.

So I recently discovered that I might have celiac. I am a hispanic male, age 28 with celiac in the family (although a very tiny percentage). As far as I can guess I have had this for almost 8 years. I just kinda learned to live with it and since my symptoms were limited the few times I actually went to the doctor with my concerns, were mostly just a waste of time. My main (and pretty much only noticeable symptom) is constant bloating, pretty much after anything I eat and occasionally just at random times regardless of food intake. I started taking BEANO before meals about a year ago and it has really helped, but nowhere close to "solving" the problem. Today I am beginning a no gluten diet on the advice of a friend living with celiac. It's going to be a BIG change for me since I pretty much have been eating anything I want over the past 8 years (although I kicked soda and beer a long time ago). Like I said, I've been just living with the results, figuring there was nothing I could do, until I discovered this illness.

Has anyone had a similar situation like mine?

My only real symptom from eating gluten is bloating too. Going in for a biopsy. My first doc just said I had IBS and to take beano too. That didn't really work :/