This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Negative Blood Test, But Have Questions

renoyogamom

renoyogamom Newbie

Hi all,

I just got the results of my antibody blood tests, and they were all within the normal range. My GP ordered t-Trangslutaminase IgA and IgG, and deamidated Gliadin Abs IgA and IgG. Is this everything that was needed? Incidentally I had been on a low/no gluten diet for a few months and did a 5 week gluten challenge before the tests, so there is a slight possibility of false negative from that.

I do notice gluten sensitivity (it my not be celiac obviously, but I do feel like it makes a difference) and my vitamin D levels were VERY low, indicating possible malabsorption (though I am also dairy intolerant so I don't drink fortified milk). Thoughts?

I fully intend to go back on my low/no gluten diet just to see what i feel like, but I'm surprised at the lack of positive celiac evidence with the indication of VERY low Vitamin D. I don't have any other risk factors for low Vit D except that I can't tolerate milk (I'm thin to underweight, and pale skinned).

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

vitamin D is also obtained through fish oils and sunlight. Where do you live and how much time do you spend in the sun?

renoyogamom Newbie

vitamin D is also obtained through fish oils and sunlight. Where do you live and how much time do you spend in the sun?

Yes, I realize those are other sources of Vit D (the sun being the primary one). I live in Reno NV, where we get sun pretty much 3/4 of the time; we get an average of 9 inches of precip a year! I do also spend a bit of time outside - at minimum 30 minutes per day. However it is winter now, and cold, so when I'm outside I'm covered except for my face. That, along with my inability to eat foods with supplemental vit D could contribute. I just learned that some of the symptoms I was thinking might be related to celiac are also indicative of vit D deficiency, so we'll see what happens when I start supplements. Thanks!

So - did my doctor do all the appropriate tests? I had read something about needing a 'total IgA' value to validate the test... is that what the last part of the assay was? thanks!

Kim

Jestgar Rising Star

It doesn't look as if total IgA was ordered. If your tests come back negative you might ask for it just to find out if they are negative because you have low IgA. If they are positive then it doesn't matter. There are other tests, but those are the basic ones.

Archived