lillmiss2121

Binge Eating And Gluten?

Rate this topic

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with binge eating before they went to gluten free and now on gluten free the binge eating stopped??

I did not personally experience this, but I have heard others say that because the body is so malnourished, you can definitely experience this, as the body's way of trying to nourish itself.

After going gluten free, my son and I both experienced non stop hunger, that started immediatley after consuming a decent sized meal :blink: For me, it resolved itself within a month. My son, however, is still eating like there is no tomorrow, 5 months out. Hope it stops soon, as I can't afford the groceries!

I did have the same experience as the original poster. When eating gluten, I did experience nearly uncontrollable desires to eat certain foods, such as gluten-containing bread and cookies. The exact same foods gluten-free can somehow sit around in my kitchen and I don't feel an uncontrollable urge to eat them until they are gone.

I mentioned it to someone who had studied Chinese medicine a bit, and he suggested that it could be thought of a type of an allergy that drove you towards foods that were bad for you rather than away. I have not come across anything in medical literature about this.

You may be interested in reading the blog "Simply Sugar and Gluten Free" written by a woman who avoids sugar and gluten as a way to achieve and maintain a significant weight loss and avoid overeating.

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with binge eating before they went to gluten free and now on gluten free the binge eating stopped??

Before I went gluten-free, I would have times when I would get hungry and just be able to/have to eat for hours. Post gluten-free, a sudden insatiable hunger when I should be full is one of my first signs that I've been glutened. Since I never gained weight from eating all that food, I never thought of that as binge eating but I suppose it was...