Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisasa

Iga Level Question -Please

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Was that a general IgA level test or a specific IgA test? Normal range for an adult is about 80-350 but I'm not sure whether that changes for someone so young. By itself a general IgA test won't really tell you much about any potential gluten problems but it can help you to interpret the more specific IgA tests in the blood panel.

That single number by itself doesn't necessary mean a huge amount in isolation but should add a decent amount to the over all picture once you get the rest of the tests back.

Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

Young children typically do not make a lot of IgA, and this number looks low. That means you can get false negatives when they do IgA type tests.

It is advised to run the IgG tests in small children too, and specifically the antigliadin IgG too as far as I remember.

The main celaic test, the tissue transglutaminase IgA, may not be positive in young children because they do not make much ttg, and not much IgA.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)