Lisasa

Iga Level Question -Please

Rate this topic

My grandson's IgA level is 84....Please educate me we are still waiting for the rest of the panel...What is a 'normal' IgA he is 19 months old.

Was that a general IgA level test or a specific IgA test? Normal range for an adult is about 80-350 but I'm not sure whether that changes for someone so young. By itself a general IgA test won't really tell you much about any potential gluten problems but it can help you to interpret the more specific IgA tests in the blood panel.

That single number by itself doesn't necessary mean a huge amount in isolation but should add a decent amount to the over all picture once you get the rest of the tests back.

Young children typically do not make a lot of IgA, and this number looks low. That means you can get false negatives when they do IgA type tests.

It is advised to run the IgG tests in small children too, and specifically the antigliadin IgG too as far as I remember.

The main celaic test, the tissue transglutaminase IgA, may not be positive in young children because they do not make much ttg, and not much IgA.