wacky~jackie

What Tests To Ask For

Rate this topic

Hi,

My 17yo son has a dr. appt. tomorrow and I want him tested for celiac. What blood tests should be ordered? I want to make sure they don't miss any.

Thanks!

Hi,

My 17yo son has a dr. appt. tomorrow and I want him tested for celiac. What blood tests should be ordered? I want to make sure they don't miss any.

Thanks!

I'd like to know as well. I have taken my daughter off of gluten for almost 2 weeks now, which I've been told will make it harder to test, but we've been running tests on everything else for 4 months and she just keeps getting worse. A friend who's daughter has it recognized the symptoms, and she's already feeling better. I do want to have her tested though just for medical documentation. I keep seeing things about IGG or IGA or something. What do we need to test for, and can an allergist do it or does the regular doctor?

thanks!

Donna

Bare minimum=

1) Total Serum IgA

2) IgA-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG)

3) IgA-Gliadin

4) IgG-Gliadin

Liver, thyroid and blood markers aren't a bad idea to check for either as these can be affected by a gluten problem and so a change in the results following a gluten-free treatment would be useful in a concrete diagnosis.

Bare minimum=

1) Total Serum IgA

2) IgA-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG)

3) IgA-Gliadin

4) IgG-Gliadin

Liver, thyroid and blood markers aren't a bad idea to check for either as these can be affected by a gluten problem and so a change in the results following a gluten-free treatment would be useful in a concrete diagnosis.

Thank you so much & just in time too! His appt. is in 1/2 hour.

Jackie