This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Withdraw

MATT1983

MATT1983 Rookie

I have been on a Gluten/ Dairy Free diet for about a year now. I was just wondering if anyone has ever went threw a withdraw. I konw the affects that eating Gluten and Dairy have on me and how bad it can and will hurt me, but tonight that all changed. I had both and just was craving food I cannot have. It was so good, but was it realy worth all the pain and suffering later? My wife and I strive to not eat gluten and dairy because of me and to make sure that there are no traces at all. my system is so sensitive that just a dusting, of small touch will make me majorly sick. Anyways, is it really worth if to eat it and how do you control the cravings?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I control any cravings by making sure that when I have them I go for a gluten free version of whatever I am craving. I make sure that I have gluten free forms of my favorite stuff on hand. For me that means keeping pizza shells in the freezer and cake mix in the cupboard. If you have been gluten-free for a year and have healed well you may be able to tolerate dairy again. Have you tried adding some yogurt or cheddar cheese into your diet to see if you tolerate them? Some of us are able to tolerate dairy again after we heal. If you are now suffering the effects of being glutened wait until that passes and then try a bit of hard cheese or yogurt daily for a week and see if you react.

MATT1983 Rookie

I control any cravings by making sure that when I have them I go for a gluten free version of whatever I am craving. I make sure that I have gluten free forms of my favorite stuff on hand. For me that means keeping pizza shells in the freezer and cake mix in the cupboard. If you have been gluten-free for a year and have healed well you may be able to tolerate dairy again. Have you tried adding some yogurt or cheddar cheese into your diet to see if you tolerate them? Some of us are able to tolerate dairy again after we heal. If you are now suffering the effects of being glutened wait until that passes and then try a bit of hard cheese or yogurt daily for a week and see if you react.

Sadly enough, I cannot have dairy at all. I have been Dairy Intolerant my entire life. Whenever I was born i couldn't have formula, so my mom put me on goats milk and apparently that did okay for me. So, no dairy for me. I have tried and it since going gluten free and it still gives me horrible gas and major diarrhea, so I stay clear of it. And sadly enough, I don't know if I can honestly say that my body has been Gluten Free because of Cross contamination. My wife loves to go out to resturants and the bad thing is we don't have a lot of Gluten free places. She tries to stay home and we cook but sometimes you have to treat your lady with a nite out on the town. So whenever we can't get to a gluten free resturant and go to one of her favorite places, I end up suffering for her. She always feels bad for me though.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sadly enough, I cannot have dairy at all. I have been Dairy Intolerant my entire life. Whenever I was born i couldn't have formula, so my mom put me on goats milk and apparently that did okay for me. So, no dairy for me. I have tried and it since going gluten free and it still gives me horrible gas and major diarrhea, so I stay clear of it. And sadly enough, I don't know if I can honestly say that my body has been Gluten Free because of Cross contamination. My wife loves to go out to resturants and the bad thing is we don't have a lot of Gluten free places. She tries to stay home and we cook but sometimes you have to treat your lady with a nite out on the town. So whenever we can't get to a gluten free resturant and go to one of her favorite places, I end up suffering for her. She always feels bad for me though.

What do you order when you eat out? If you get something like steak or chicken just ask them to cook it seperately in a clean pan and add a baked potato. Don't be afraid to speak up and be very clear about your needs. If you tell them you have a wheat allergy it will be easier than saying gluten free. Once you find a place that has cooked for you without your getting ill become a regular and call and thank the management and the chef the next day. Once they know you it will get easier. I was a chef for years and customers that show their appretiation tend to be remembered and are appretiated in return. You can also grab something before you go if you are sure her restaurant choice can't feed you safely and just order a salad or drinks and enjoy her company.

I was intolerant to dairy all my life also. Within a few months gluten free I was able to add some dairy back in. Can't say it will be the same for you but once your well healed you may want to give dairy a cautious try. You never know.

scarlett77 Apprentice

You mentioned that you did okay on goat's milk...have you ever tried cheese made from goat's milk? It is quite good. Also, Betty Crocker cake mix is dairy free from what I can tell. See if you can find some Chebe mix (USE THE ALL PURPOSE NOT THE ORIGINAL). Use the Chebe mix with your "milk" replacement and omit the cheese (which is optional anyway). You can use it to make breadsticks, rolls, pizza, wraps, flat bread, hot dog/burger buns, empanadas/hot pockets, and I've read but haven't tried that you can use it to make perogies. As the other poster said, they key is to have things on hand that are gluten free versions of what you crave. I agree with the restaurant thing too...you really do need to talk to the cook and see what your options are. Have them cook your food in a foil packet if necessary.

MATT1983 Rookie

I didn't even think about cooking it in foil. And I know what your saying about telling the cook. My Grandfather owned a restaurant and I used to help cook. And whenever we got compliments it made our day and we remembered them and always took care of them because they kept coming back.

To answer the other question, My mom use to get it straight from the goat. We used to live next to neighbors that had a farm and i guess she got it from them. It's hard to find stuff that is actually REAl.... you know what I mean? I always make sure to tell the management and chefs how great the experience was. And they'll remember you every time you come back.

Some of the places we go I do make sure to tell the waitress or waiter and it never fails... I get sick. I even order chicken that is supposedly, cooked with nothing on it and nothing else cooked with it, but as I said.. I get sick. My sensitivity is Extreme, which sucks. But like I said, I love to make my wife happy, even if it means I have to suffer.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I didn't even think about cooking it in foil. And I know what your saying about telling the cook. My Grandfather owned a restaurant and I used to help cook. And whenever we got compliments it made our day and we remembered them and always took care of them because they kept coming back.

To answer the other question, My mom use to get it straight from the goat. We used to live next to neighbors that had a farm and i guess she got it from them. It's hard to find stuff that is actually REAl.... you know what I mean? I always make sure to tell the management and chefs how great the experience was. And they'll remember you every time you come back.

Some of the places we go I do make sure to tell the waitress or waiter and it never fails... I get sick. I even order chicken that is supposedly, cooked with nothing on it and nothing else cooked with it, but as I said.. I get sick. My sensitivity is Extreme, which sucks. But like I said, I love to make my wife happy, even if it means I have to suffer.

I'm sorry in advance if this sounds a bit harsh but how happy is she going to be sitting by your hospital bed while you get treated for something that could have been avoided if you had been strict with the diet? The results of continued exposure to gluten for the sake of a few restaurant meals could be dire. Can't you eat safely at home and then go out and enjoy a movie or go to hear a band or a trip to a museum etc. at least until you are well healed? Loving someone means taking care of them and putting their needs first. If the situation was reversed what would you do to keep her safe? I bet you would give up those meals for a while.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

scarlett77 Apprentice

Look at wine shops or places where good cheeses are sold and talk to someone knowledgeable. They may be able to help you find a cheese that you can eat. And Raven is right. I admire your devotion to your wife and the fact that you would suffer for her, but you may ultimately be doing her an injustice by not being so strict.

Try going to the manager or ask to speak directly with the chef instead of the waiter/waitress. You may have better luck there than only speaking with your server. Don't only go to the manager to compliment, talk to them before hand. Another idea is to call ahead and speak with the manager and/or chef.

MATT1983 Rookie

I'm sorry in advance if this sounds a bit harsh but how happy is she going to be sitting by your hospital bed while you get treated for something that could have been avoided if you had been strict with the diet? The results of continued exposure to gluten for the sake of a few restaurant meals could be dire. Can't you eat safely at home and then go out and enjoy a movie or go to hear a band or a trip to a museum etc. at least until you are well healed? Loving someone means taking care of them and putting their needs first. If the situation was reversed what would you do to keep her safe? I bet you would give up those meals for a while.

You don't sound harsh at all. I agree with what your saying. I'm sorry, I should've been a little more clearer. My Wife does care about where we eat. Sometimes we try a new place and that gives me the cross-contamination that makes me sick. She is always worried about my health and very cautious about where we eat and what we eat. Without her, I would have given up on being gluten and dairy free. She is actually the one who keeps me in check. We do eat at home a lot and then go to the movies but sometimes when we do go out, i get sick from cross contamination somehow. And that's where the suffering comes from. Not to be up to date with Celiac, but how badly can it hurt you? How would it hospitalize me?

MATT1983 Rookie

Look at wine shops or places where good cheeses are sold and talk to someone knowledgeable. They may be able to help you find a cheese that you can eat. And Raven is right. I admire your devotion to your wife and the fact that you would suffer for her, but you may ultimately be doing her an injustice by not being so strict.

Try going to the manager or ask to speak directly with the chef instead of the waiter/waitress. You may have better luck there than only speaking with your server. Don't only go to the manager to compliment, talk to them before hand. Another idea is to call ahead and speak with the manager and/or chef.

Thanks So much. I'll try looking at our local wine places. And I'll try talking to management too. I just hate to be the guy who ask to much or end up with someone spitting in my food... lol... but seriously. I guess I feel bad for the restaurant people whenever we go out. But, I guess I shouldn't seeing how they don't have to feel what I feel. I do appreciate your help. Very useful information.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You don't sound harsh at all. I agree with what your saying. I'm sorry, I should've been a little more clearer. My Wife does care about where we eat. Sometimes we try a new place and that gives me the cross-contamination that makes me sick. She is always worried about my health and very cautious about where we eat and what we eat. Without her, I would have given up on being gluten and dairy free. She is actually the one who keeps me in check. We do eat at home a lot and then go to the movies but sometimes when we do go out, i get sick from cross contamination somehow. And that's where the suffering comes from. Not to be up to date with Celiac, but how badly can it hurt you? How would it hospitalize me?

Since celiac is an autoimmune disease continued exposure can lead to a number of different things. Lymphoma, gallbladder disease, liver disease, cancer of the intestines, thyroid problems, arthritis, ulcers and other stuff. The antibodies can attack pretty much any organ. I am glad to hear that she is concerned about your health and is helping you to try and stay compliant with the diet. I don't remember how long you have been on the diet, do you have reactions from stuff at home? Another thought, some women, myself included, only wear makeup and lipstick when we go out 'on the town' if your wife is someone who doesn't often wear lipsticks etc has you folks checked to make sure her makeup is gluten free? One last thing to consider do you have cocktails when you go out that you don't normally drink at home? Some of us are sensitive to distilled gluten grains and perhaps that might be what is the issue with you getting sick whenever you go out to dinner and not the food.

MATT1983 Rookie

Since celiac is an autoimmune disease continued exposure can lead to a number of different things. Lymphoma, gallbladder disease, liver disease, cancer of the intestines, thyroid problems, arthritis, ulcers and other stuff. The antibodies can attack pretty much any organ. I am glad to hear that she is concerned about your health and is helping you to try and stay compliant with the diet. I don't remember how long you have been on the diet, do you have reactions from stuff at home? Another thought, some women, myself included, only wear makeup and lipstick when we go out 'on the town' if your wife is someone who doesn't often wear lipsticks etc has you folks checked to make sure her makeup is gluten free? One last thing to consider do you have cocktails when you go out that you don't normally drink at home? Some of us are sensitive to distilled gluten grains and perhaps that might be what is the issue with you getting sick whenever you go out to dinner and not the food.

I have been on the diet now for about a year now. But, like I said before it's not completely out because of not knowing that I had a gluten or dairy products or cross contamination. And drinks won't be a problem cause we don't drink alcohol. No i didn't check her makeup cause it's all Mary Kay and didn't even think that could do anything, never thought of that. This is crazy that this stuff is everywhere and the smallest amount could cause this many problems. I've kissed her before and haven't gotten sick too. So didn't think it was an issue. And wow, I didn't know that many problems could come with this.

Also, i have to be honest. I started this comment because a week ago I had a withdraw. I ate two pieces of regular pizza, a Reese Peanut butter cup and two oreo's and I have been getting sicker this entire week. Friday night, my stomach was the worst continued today and the gas was Horrible! along with using the restroom. I know it was stupid and wasn't worth all this, but i haven't been this sick even with the smaller amounts i accidentally consumed. I have been freezing cold, tired, lower back pain, and my chest is heavy and sore, like a sledgehammer hit me. Is this due to what I ate? Is this what I get for being stupid and having a withdraw?, Which will NEVER happen again! I know this will go on for a few more days or a week, but what is all the symptoms about? I'm a little freaked out. I would really appreciate your help. And Thank You for already being So Helpful. It really is appreciated!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Also, i have to be honest. I started this comment because a week ago I had a withdraw. I ate two pieces of regular pizza, a Reese Peanut butter cup and two oreo's and I have been getting sicker this entire week. Friday night, my stomach was the worst continued today and the gas was Horrible! along with using the restroom. I know it was stupid and wasn't worth all this, but i haven't been this sick even with the smaller amounts i accidentally consumed. I have been freezing cold, tired, lower back pain, and my chest is heavy and sore, like a sledgehammer hit me. Is this due to what I ate? Is this what I get for being stupid and having a withdraw?, Which will NEVER happen again! I know this will go on for a few more days or a week, but what is all the symptoms about? I'm a little freaked out. I would really appreciate your help. And Thank You for already being So Helpful. It really is appreciated!

Yes unfortunately all of that is from the pizza and oreo's (the Reese's pnut butter cups are safe gluten wise). The gluten food triggered an antibody response which then courses through your system and causes the problems you are seeing. Don't beat yourself up to much for your mistake. Your body is doing that enough. You now know how severe the reaction can be and while it has been a tough learning experience sometimes we have to go through a reaction like that to realize how badly we need to adhere to the diet without cheating. The symptoms will resolve but for some of us it can take a couple weeks. Eat as much whole food as you can right now to avoid any CC keeping the reaction going. I find Cream of Buckwheat to be very soothing on my tummy when I get glutened. I use Pocono brand which has no issues with possible CC as it is grown in dedicated fields and harvested with dedicated equipment and processed in a plant that only processes buckwheat. When you are feeling better there are gluten free pizza crusts, both ready made and mixes that can take care of that pizza craving. Kinnickinnick makes crusts that come in packages of 4 and they also make an oreo type cookie. When you get a craving come here and ask us what we use as a replacement. Everyone here will be glad to give you their favorites. I do hope you feeling better soon.

Marz Enthusiast

I have a "window shopping" policy on gluten containing foods - look, smell but don't touch :P Poor consolation, but I know if I eat the item I'm going to get a sore stomach within minutes - I can literally enjoy the item a lot more just by taking in the aroma. Of course some people get sick on fumes, so maybe not such a good idea for you.

Gluten-free equivalents helps, as does promising myself to eat something yummy and gluten-free as soon as you get home (From the grocery store where the gluten yummy stuff is).

I also tell myself it's stupid to be ruled by your tongue - because that's the main organ that enjoys the food, once it goes down the throat it's just more carbs/fat for your body. So eat something the tongue will enjoy, but won't royally mess up the rest of your system :)

MATT1983 Rookie

Yes unfortunately all of that is from the pizza and oreo's (the Reese's pnut butter cups are safe gluten wise). The gluten food triggered an antibody response which then courses through your system and causes the problems you are seeing. Don't beat yourself up to much for your mistake. Your body is doing that enough. You now know how severe the reaction can be and while it has been a tough learning experience sometimes we have to go through a reaction like that to realize how badly we need to adhere to the diet without cheating. The symptoms will resolve but for some of us it can take a couple weeks. Eat as much whole food as you can right now to avoid any CC keeping the reaction going. I find Cream of Buckwheat to be very soothing on my tummy when I get glutened. I use Pocono brand which has no issues with possible CC as it is grown in dedicated fields and harvested with dedicated equipment and processed in a plant that only processes buckwheat. When you are feeling better there are gluten free pizza crusts, both ready made and mixes that can take care of that pizza craving. Kinnickinnick makes crusts that come in packages of 4 and they also make an oreo type cookie. When you get a craving come here and ask us what we use as a replacement. Everyone here will be glad to give you their favorites. I do hope you feeling better soon.

Sorry it took so long to answer back. I'm glad to know that I'm not going threw something else. I've had similar symptoms but nothing like what had happened. And thank you, I'm starting to feel better. But still getting it out of my system. I also found out today from my Doctor that my blood work came back and I have For-sure, Celiac. He said that my number or something that diagnoses someone with the disease was a 33. So he said that was twice the number. I'm not sure what it was called, can't remember. But he doesn't wanna do the other endoscopy test cause I tested positive. He said that was also why my sensitivity was so bad. It's funny, but it really explains a lot from my childhood. And i don't know how high it was when I was eating Gluten, but almost a year later and it's still high. Do you know if this is bad?

Archived