This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread/pasta = Nausea

ScullyFord

ScullyFord Newbie

I get nauseated consuming breads/pastas. It takes up residence and doesnt move for 5-7-10 days.

I had endoscopy today and think it will be negative and doc will tell me I have Irritable Bowel. Can I still be celiac? Im so nauseated eating these foods and also my hubbys wonderful chili and gumbo which Im sure is laden with gluten as he uses a canned starter and canned mixes to start it. It seems to be the common denominator.

Vitamins make me ill too and I assume its gluten also.

Im anemic, low ferrous iron, low Vit D. B is at low end acceptable range.

But how to convince the family when the medical doesnt add up/prove it?

How to convince people it makes you ill (when they can SEE it does) but if med reports say otherwise, to them..."its all in my head?" ( "Medical doesnt lie.")

Endo results should arrive Nov 8 or 9.

And is Irritable Bowel a real disease? or a "youre sick and we dont know why" diagnosis?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixiebell Contributor

The low vitamin levels and the fact that foods with gluten make you sick is enough evidence, IMO, to say you have a problem with gluten.

The endoscopy can only reach so far, so it is possible for the Dr. to miss the damage or the damage may be patchy. Just make sure you get copies of your results because I have heard of some being told they don't have any damage when in fact they do.

Have you had blood tests for celiac? If you already do then you can start eating gluten free.

IBS is a symptom of something going on. Yes, "your sick and we don't know why". It's like they have given up. If your Dr. gives you this as a diagnosis, do not accept it. If he/she is not willing to search further for you, fire him/her and find a new one.

Testing for celiac is not 100%. You can have a false negative, meaning the tests are negative but you have it and the symptoms to go along with it.

ScullyFord Newbie

Thank you for your reply.

As far as I know he only did a CBC. I'll ask and get the lab reports.

I had the endo 11/5 and was advised I should have results 11/12.

I guess I'll go gluten-free and poo-poo the medical evidence either way as life otherwise is nearly intolerable.

Skylark Collaborator

You convince the family by going gluten-free and feeling well again. Remember that you are in control of what you eat, not anyone else. What your family will SEE is you no longer curled up with nausea, happier, and more comfortable. Going off gluten changes us for the better and most families love the "new you". Don't let your family take your gluten intolerance personally when they cook. Just politely decline the food, give a hug, and find something safe to eat.

It's easy to get caught up with the idea of a diagnosis, but really we don't know enough about gluten intolerance for doctors to really diagnose it. Even celiac is missed sometimes.

Archived