Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

polarbearscooby

Glue

So, my entire life I've been allergic to glue. When I was little I had to wear a heart monitor for several weeks at a time and the little sticky patches would leave angry, red blistery patches on my chest. Any kind of plastic tape did the same thing. But I could tolerate fabric tape to some degree. (The last time I had plastic tape on, it was on less than 10 minutes and I had hives and blisters)

The reaction didn't last long though, half an hour or maybe a day at the most.

Well this past weekend I wore a fabric band-aid for maybe a day and a half (latex free of course as I'm allergic to that too) and when I took it off it looked like someone had BRANDED a band-aid shape on me!! (There is a picture bellow that was taken a few HOURS after I took it off)

188547273.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1289347767&Signature=ZftzZgLFUgI31dMOue0flzhotBU%3D

And it's not as bad today (5 days later) but you can still see it and it looks like a healing burn...

Now I'm down to using just duct-tape band-aids (yes they are real)

My question is: Is this just an allergy, or is it a celiac thing? And does anyone else experience it?

It's getting really annoying and I'm just curious...

Thanks in advance!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My son had that reaction to regular bandages. He has not had them with latex free.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

I don't believe it's a celiac thing - wouldn't swear to that, though - but I do know many people who have this issue of reacting to the adhesive.

The suggestions I've heard are

1: there is some type of adhesive remover that was good for getting the stuff off if you got a bandaid on, that helped prevent a worse reaction. Can't recall what it is, but it might be worth looking up.

2: paper tape holding on a small gauze pad seemed to work for some people who have issues with adhesives on bandaids and such. We're looking into it ourselves (haven't tried it yet) because my daughter has reacted similar to what you describe for the last few times she's had bandaids, so we're looking around for other options, too! <_<

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Hi!

I've tried paper tape and gauze....

It works...but only to some extent...and it tends to take my skin off with it....

It's good to know I'm not alone though

Like I said the duct-tape band-aids DO work

Hi!

I've tried paper tape and gauze....

It works...but only to some extent...and it tends to take my skin off with it....

It's good to know I'm not alone though

Like I said the duct-tape band-aids DO work

Duct tape sounds like a great solution to me. Red Green would be mighty proud. There are also liquid and spray on bandage materials now. Much neater than the old mud and grass trick. You spray it on and it dries in a short time to a flexible surface. I can't say what they make this stuff out of, probably old cow doodie, well refined. But it works for a while anyway, then you spray on a new layer if it comes off. Slicker than greased spit on a slippery slide. Not real expensive either and might help. There are also creams like Neosporin that has 3 anti-bacterials in them. They can speed up the healing process by retarding bacteria feeding frenzies on your damaged skin. Then if it's a gunshot wound or an arrow there's the old Western approach with a burning hot knife to cauterize and an old rag dirty snot rag tied over it. Or burning some gunpowder in the cat scratch is very showy too. If you are old enough a bottle of rot-gut rum poured on could help too, according to the cowboys that is. Now a dog would just lick it for hours and be done with it. Ok, stop me when I start repeating repeating repeating. Oops..! :)

link to some Liquid bandage shopping options on Google.

Liquid bandages

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Duct tape sounds like a great solution to me. Red Green would be mighty proud. There are also liquid and spray on bandage materials now. Much neater than the old mud and grass trick. You spray it on and it dries in a short time to a flexible surface. I can't say what they make this stuff out of, probably old cow doodie, well refined. But it works for a while anyway, then you spray on a new layer if it comes off. Slicker than greased spit on a slippery slide. Not real expensive either and might help. There are also creams like Neosporin that has 3 anti-bacterials in them. They can speed up the healing process by retarding bacteria feeding frenzies on your damaged skin. Then if it's a gunshot wound or an arrow there's the old Western approach with a burning hot knife to cauterize and an old rag dirty snot rag tied over it. Or burning some gunpowder in the cat scratch is very showy too. If you are old enough a bottle of rot-gut rum poured on could help too, according to the cowboys that is. Now a dog would just lick it for hours and be done with it. Ok, stop me when I start repeating repeating repeating. Oops..! :)

link to some Liquid bandage shopping options on Google.

Liquid bandages

This really cracked me up....

And wouldn't ya know I can't use the triple antibiotic ointment either? *sigh*

Thanks for the idea on the liquid bandaids I'll have to check them out next time I'm in town...