Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Courtney101

Gluten Challenge :(

hi everyone,

Just a quick question... I've read that when doing a gluten challenge you have to eat 3-4 slices of white bread everyday. Just wondering if it has to be white, or if wholemeal/wholegrain/multigrain breads will do.

Also, is it necessary for me to do a challenge if I've only been off gluten for 2 weeks, and have a biopsy scheduled for 3 weeks away. I just want to do everything I can to avoid a false negative.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My gluten challenge was 3 slices of white bread a day. However, the GI only had me on the gluten challenge for a week, and only took 1 biopsy and photo (he believed I had diverticulitis instead, in spite of my multiple symptoms). Needless to say, I had no diverticuli and the 1 duodenum biopsy was negative. Make sure the gastroenterologist takes multiple duodenum biopsies, the inflammation tends to be spotty. So, it is important to be on AT LEAST 3 slices of high-gluten bread a day for a MINIMUM of 3 weeks. This also means no sourdough wheat bread. You need to get your antibodies into full attack mode, as painful as that is. It is better to pain the price now (intended misspelling) than to question later if the test should have been negative.

My gluten challenge was 3 slices of white bread a day. However, the GI only had me on the gluten challenge for a week, and only took 1 biopsy and photo (he believed I had diverticulitis instead, in spite of my multiple symptoms). Needless to say, I had no diverticuli and the 1 duodenum biopsy was negative. Make sure the gastroenterologist takes multiple duodenum biopsies, the inflammation tends to be spotty. So, it is important to be on AT LEAST 3 slices of high-gluten bread a day for a MINIMUM of 3 weeks. This also means no sourdough wheat bread. You need to get your antibodies into full attack mode, as painful as that is. It is better to pain the price now (intended misspelling) than to question later if the test should have been negative.

Thanks for your reply! So white bread is highest in gluten? I guess the whole idea is to bombard your body with as much gluten as possible, so that would make sense. Why no sour dough bread though?

I'm sorry to hear you had a hard time with your GI, thats so frustrating to have to go through everything involved in a gluten challenge and endoscopy, only to find out that only one sample was taken! Thanks for the warning though, I'll definately speak to my GI about exactly what she intends to do.

I am not looking forward to the next few weeks, but at least I will know I did everything I could to avoid false negatives!

Thanks for your reply! So white bread is highest in gluten? I guess the whole idea is to bombard your body with as much gluten as possible, so that would make sense. Why no sour dough bread though?

I'm sorry to hear you had a hard time with your GI, thats so frustrating to have to go through everything involved in a gluten challenge and endoscopy, only to find out that only one sample was taken! Thanks for the warning though, I'll definately speak to my GI about exactly what she intends to do.

I am not looking forward to the next few weeks, but at least I will know I did everything I could to avoid false negatives!

im SURE sourdough has plenty of gluten. i think it's safe to say that the squishier the bread is, the more gluten it will have.

i think a more hearty whole grain wheat or ezekiel would have a little less gluten and maybe more Wheat Germ Agglutin

you should continue to eat 4 slices of bread a day to get a more accurate test... or doughnuts.. or pizza hut pan pizza... or pancakes... or ... OMG :( sorry, i had a moment

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Bulgur, cous-cous, pasta, wheat/rye/barley cereals, pretzels, crackers, flour tortillas, etc. Have at them all-- the amount of gluten depends more on the type of wheat than how it's processed.

And eat a really, really good chocolate croissant for me. Just one.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable

3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG

4/2010 Negative biopsy

5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)

5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?