Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pastorscott

My Results Are In! - Please Help Me!

It seems that everytime I eat anything with yeast, such as bread or other bread products that contain gluten...I get major bloating, gas and stomach pain. If its something like a cracker, its not so bad..but bread is the worst. Anyways I went for a blood test and my doctor is really frustrating. He lives far away from where I am so I asked the doctors office to give me the result on the phone. She gave me a number...but problem is I dont understand what it means..and it takes forever to get an appointment. I wanted to see if anyone understood this blood test number. It is below. I have no idea if I have a gluten allergy or maybe an intollerance. There is no blood test for intollerance, just allergy.

ANTI TRANSGLUTAMINASE IgA - 1.1

Can anyone translate this for me? Thanks for your help.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Call them back and make them send you the entire results in writing. You paid for the tests, you own them. Some doctors offices will have you be able to look up the results online, but still, if and when you are at the office, make them copy you the results or make them send them to you - in writing. Or in an email you can print off.

A number plucked out of no where doesn't mean anything. You have to have the reference range. They ran a test. A result smaller than normal says no. A result larger than normal says yes.

When you get the entire test results, then it can make sense.

Keep in mind also, that they need to run more than 1 test, and that these celiac blood panels are not necessarily accurate 100% of the time, anyway.

ALWAYS get your test results. I had a doctor's office pretend mine did not say something that it did, concerning another form of test, and she had no idea I had done an end run around them and gotten them first by going to the office and insisting that they give them up - or else. Then I made the appointment to "discuss" this, because they were refusing to both make appointments without a two month wait, and to give up test results without the "appointment." Nice "catch -22. " There are a few crackpots out there.

Can anyone tell me what the 1.1 is one the scale? Is that high or low?

Different labs use different scales. We need to have the reference range to be able to tell you anything. Also they should have done more tests than just the TTG for the celiac panel. They also should have run your B12, iron and hopefully your levels for vitamin D. Those are often low in us. The celiac panel does have false negatives also so after you are done with all testing do give the diet a shot even if the tests are negative.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

That is very likely a negative result, but as Ravenwoodglass said different labs have their own ranges so we can't be sure. Out of curiosity, have you tried eliminating yeast from your diet?