Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ox on the Roof

Are Blood Tests More Accurate If Done More Than Once?

Hi, all. This is my first post here. :)

I've been sick for 1 1/2 years. My first symptoms were neurological but soon turned into both neuro and gastro. I was sent down the "must be anxiety so try out about six different anti-depressants and make her even sicker" road until it was discovered eight months later that I was deficient in vitamins D and B12.

After starting on high doses of D and bi-weekly shots of B12, the neuro symptoms finally went away. WOOHOO! But the gastro symptoms still persist. In September, they told me that my gallbladder was only functioning at 11%, so I had that pulled; felt good for a while, but it came back again.

This whole time, the most persistent symptom is BELCHING. (If you've seen the movie "Elf," I often want to say, "Did you HEAR that?!?!") Of course, with all that air in my stomach, I don't want to eat and I get nauseated. If one more doctor tries to tell me I am swallowing air....BLAH!

I also suffer from fatigue, and I just FEEL BADLY in general, especially in the mornings. Again, the doctors all start trying to tell me it's because I have three small kids (8,5, and 3). I think if you don't go into the appointment acting like you are dying, they don't take you very seriously. Sorry if I seem jaded towards the medical community. It's hard to be nice when twelve different doctors can't tell you what's wrong, and the bills are rolling in.

ANYHOW! Back to my original question. I've apparently been tested two or three times for Celiac, by three different doctors. No one has been forthcoming about which tests were run, or what the values were. But they all said my results were negative. I've read on this website that the blood tests aren't as reliable as a biopsy (they did an upper endoscopy when I first became ill but apparently did not check for Celiac). So my question is, does the reliability of the blood tests go up if you've been tested more than once?

Thanks for any information/stories/empathy you can provide!

Jenny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It depends on the person. I was tested over and over and never came back positive. Some of us just show false negatives on the tests. Have you tried the diet yet? Also if you are in the US you have a legal right to copies of those test results. If you post the results here someone might be able to help. Sometimes tests are not as negative as doctors fell they are. Do be sure to include the labs reference ranges.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)