Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronicowie

Just Tried Gluten Again After 3 Month Trial

Hello,

I've been gluten free for the past 3 months after a recommended trial diet from a doctor. I have felt a lot better (although not 100% stomach wise) from doing this diet so I assumed I was at least gluten intolerant if not celiac (my blood work was negative and unfortunately could not afford the scope despite my doc's recommendation). I wasn't even planning on trying gluten again since seeing some positive improvement, but last night I mistakenly ate some yam fries that were coated in wheat flour (oops!).

Anyways, it's been 12 hours now and so far I have had absolutely no symptoms. Before the diet I was suffering from stomach pains, "IBS" symptoms and fatigue (as well as numerous vitamin deficiencies, a sluggish thyroid and missed periods). I've read so much on this site about people getting so sick from even the tiniest amounts of gluten and the doc said it was likely that I would only get more sensitive after cutting out the gluten. So what gives? Perhaps I'm a luckier gluten intolerant who can get away with it occasionally? Or do you think it's more likely that I was suffering from a different problem?

Just wondering your opinions on this or about your own experiences re-introducing gluten.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gluten reactions can be delayed by as much as a week. If you want to do a true challenge you should eat a regular gluten diet for at least a week. If you had health issues resolve on the diet then chances are good that you need the diet.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)