Shashi

Blood Test Results - Help!

Rate this topic

Okay, I picked up my blood test results from a few weeks ago. My doctor tested a couple of different things. One of them was a Celiac panel. On that test, my endomysial AB IGA was normal, the tissue transglutaminase IGA AB was normal, but the Immunogloblin A (IgA) serum was 41 on a normal scale of 66-433 mg/dL. there's a note written on the lab sheet that says "borderline deficient".

In addition, on my complete blood count, my eosinophils % was 16.8 when normal is 1.0-5.0, the absolute count of eosinophils was 1.29 where normal is 0.04-0.40. In addition, my neutrophils % was low at 32.9 (normal is 40.0-74.0.)

I know that eosinophils are related to allergic reactions like hay fever and other things, but I don't have any allergies like that. Also, my eosinophil count has been mildly elevated for several years now, but never this high. Could the elevated count be related to Celiac disease? And what about the low IgA?

(I also had elevated liver enzymes, but I usually always do.)

Thanks! :)

Your low IGA will cause false negatives on the blood tests. Did your doctor run the IGG? After all your tests are done give the diet a good strict try for a couple of months.

It appears as though you are IgA deficient which causes false negatives on IgA testing for Celiac. You should get tested for the IgG's.

Ravenwoodglass, my doctor didn't check the IgG levels, just the IgA.

There's a bad stomach virus going around this area, and I had almost convinced myself that perhaps my symptoms were just from that. I started having diarrhea (first) about every other day before Christmas, then the nausea hit. What's ironic is that I was eating whole wheat toast, trying to settle my tummy, but it wasn't helping at all. That lasted off and on for over two weeks. Then it went away. Weekend before last, I started with the nausea and diarrhea again, but had a fever with it. That lasted about 18 hours. (I really think that episode was the stomach virus.) Last night, I had diarrhea again, just out of the blue, and now my tummy hurts like I'm really hungry again.

So, I'm guessing it's probably not just the stomach virus going on, especially in light of these test results and my unexpected and unplanned weight loss. I canceled my appointment with my GI doctor. I want to find someone else in my area. I've seen her for several years, but kind of have a personality clash with her and would rather see someone else. I just have to find that person.

I did go grocery shopping last night and bought all gluten-free foods (at least I hope they all are!) So, once I get the go ahead, I'll start leaving out the gluten.

Thanks and hugs,

Lisa

You might still see a GI doctor. There is a disease called Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis that can show increased eosinophils in the blood. This can also be gluten related. It is rare, but does occur.