Rate this topic

Can Celiac disease or gluten intolerance cause absent reflexes or abnormal ones?

Whenever I've seen my neurologist, she's not able to find my ankle reflexes and the last time I went back in October, my right knee reflexes were absent too.

When all of my neurological symptoms started five years ago, I had an abnormal present Babinski reflex in my left foot (my toe went up instead of down when the bottom of my foot was stroked.) In addition, over the years, my left knee reflexes were hyperactive for awhile (I almost kicked the doctor off her stool every time she checked my reflexes for about a year), but they have since returned to normal. My elbow reflexes were hyperactive too.

Can this be caused by Celiac or gluten intolerance?

Not sure about a connection ti celiac, but I believe thyroid issues can. Might want to have a thyroid blood panel done if you haven't recently

Yes it can when it impacts us neurologically. I lost reflexes in both legs in childhood and by the time I had been gluten free 2 years they had returned, over 40 years later. I also walk much more normally now.

Thanks for the info. I have had a recent thyroid panel, but it was normal. Also, I've walked with a limp (left leg, the one with the bad reflexes) since these symptoms started five years ago. It would be great to be able to walk normally again! :)

Thanks for the info. I have had a recent thyroid panel, but it was normal. Also, I've walked with a limp (left leg, the one with the bad reflexes) since these symptoms started five years ago. It would be great to be able to walk normally again! :)

Once you get the gluten issue under control a good physical therapist can help a great deal.