This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Advice, Questions, And Coping

RahCreature

RahCreature Newbie

I have been reading about how people are leary of oats or not to eat oats like quaker etc.

Is this a popular thing? I eat Quaker oats with no problems I have never encountered an intolerance to oats My mother who also has Celiac's chasties me for eating things like fruity/ Coco Pebbles, Lucky Charms, And a few other main stream cereals that are not "Gluten free" But have no wheat products in them and are not processed in a plant that has wheat. I look on labels and I figure if I get sick that is a lesson learned and I never eat that again.

I have not been posting long but I can offer advice to the several newly Dx'ed people, read your labels yea yeah all natural, organic might be better but lets be real here we do not all have the $ to pay 4 bucks for a itty bitty box of cereal. Gluten free bread is a treat because of it's 6 bucks a loaf price same with donuts or muffins I like them but I tend to go without rather than pay the prices. Also New people beware the processed Glutne Free food also have lots of sugar and more fat to make up for the lack of wheat.

When I first went gluten-free I ate like a racehorse. Snickers and peanut butter filled me up along with milk and other thicker protiens it did go away but it was frustrating while it was happening. If you have multiple problems or allergies it can be tough as well I have ABSOLUTELY no natural metobolism becasue of my 2 other issues so it is a battle so hang in there =) it gets kinda better =)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You do know you need to avoid barley malt not just wheat right? That is in a lot of mainstream cereals. Chex makes gluten free cereals that are safe for us. I think the Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles are also gluten free.

Were you diagnosed with a blood test? If so be sure to get rechecks to make sure the antibodies are going down. It isn't just GI discomfort as far as reactions go, celiac antibodies can also effect the brain and many other organs. You want to make sure to stop that antibody action. No one says you have to eat just organic food you just have to avoid gluten, wheat, rye, barley and for some of us oats. The issue with mainstream oats is that they are usually heavily cross contaminated in the processing but certified gluten free oats are tolerated by some of us.

RahCreature Newbie

Yes I realize I was Dx With a blood test and a Biopsy I have it I've had it for a year. and nothing in any of the cereals I eat have any trigger ingredients. I've had to play the watch my food game since I was 14.

Archived