This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Reintroducing Gluten - What Does This Mean?

nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 Apprentice

HI!

I've posted various times with symptons so I will cut to the chase so to speak :)

symptons:

- for over a year have had intense stomach pain gas , grotesque bloating (looking 9 months pregant, having to change clothes middle of the day bc pants no longer fit)

- constipation got worse - 3 days at a time or more unless I drink coffee or once in a blue moon pop a laxative (dont' like doing this so avoid it as much as possible)

- noticed unexplained "stubborn" weight. i am fit and a good weight, but normally when i train for half marthons and start summer bike riding, I lose weight quickly and have to increase my diet. This past summer I noticed that despite heavy exercise and clean eating my weight stayed the same even when i ate even cleaner...hmmm

- called in to work/cancelled plans due to pain regularly

- almost everytime i eat i would get unexplained swelling - feel it in my upper arms chest and back. sweaters would actually get visibly tighter

- only time i felt relief was when i would do 3 day juice fasts - not sustainable though (and out of my price range)

in the last 3 months i have noticed that my face has started to swell/look bloated. seems to be getting worse - esp around eyes and cheeks

i am gaining weight despite eating healthier than ever (count calories, have studied nutrition etc) and still working out very regularly

i have noticed just within the last week (never really looked before) floating poop and oily stool (not always oily though)

i went on an elimination diet for 2 or 3 weeks and noticed my hardcore symptons went away - still a bit gassy and bloated but not that much and still constipated, but i no longer experienced the more INTENSE bloating or cramps. My swelling was still occuring but not as bad and did not last as long

However, i just reintroduced gluten into my diet (so I can be tested) and besides an increase in gas bloating (but not to the extreme it was before) i havent really noticed too much of a difference (did start noticing the stool symptons). Its been less than a week.

Does this mean i can safely assume its not celiac disease/gluten/wheat allergy? Should i rule them out? I keep hearing of people who tried the gluten challenge and were only able to do it for a few days. So as much as many of my symptons points to a gluten problem, I am surprised that I'm not in more pain?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nuttmegs17 Apprentice

I forgot to include that I did get intense night sweats the second night of reintroducing gluten but not anymore. Before the elimination diet, night sweats were very common and that is one sympton that my husband noticed going away when i was on the elimination diet

cold hands and feet/hot midsection (esp at night) are symptons i have dealt with for years

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Patricia Devine
    Newest Member
    Patricia Devine
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• trents
      Welcome to the forum community, @ekelsay! Yes, your tTG-IGA score is strongly positive for celiac disease. There are other antibody tests that can be run when diagnosing celiac disease but the tTG-IGA is the most popular with physicians because it combines good sensitivity with good specificity, and it is a relatively inexpensive test to perform. The onset of celiac disease can happen at any stage of life and the size of the score is not necessarily an indicator of the progress of the disease. It is likely that you you experienced onset well before you became aware of symptoms. It often takes 10 years or more to get a diagnosis of celiac disease after the first appearance of symptoms. In my case, the first indicator was mildly elevated liver enzymes that resulted in a rejection of my blood donation by the Red Cross at age 37. There was no GI discomfort at that point, at least none that I noticed. Over time, other lab values began to get out of norm, including decreased iron levels. My PCP was at a complete loss to explain any of this. I finally scheduled an appointment with a GI doc because the liver enzymes concerned me and he tested me right away for celiac disease. I was positive and within three months of gluten free eating my liver enzymes were back to normal. That took 13 years since the rejection of my blood donation by the Red Cross. And my story is typical. Toward the end of that period I had developed some occasional diarrhea and oily stool but no major GI distress. Many celiacs do not have classic GI symptoms and are "silent" celiacs. There are around 200 symptoms that have been associated with celiac disease and many or most of them do not involve conscious GI distress. Via an autoimmune process, gluten ingestion triggers inflammation in the villous lining of the small bowel which damages it over time and inhibits the ability of this organ to absorb the vitamins and minerals in the food we ingest. So, that explains why those with celiac disease often suffer iron deficiency anemia, osteoporosis and a host of other vitamin and mineral deficiency related medical issues. The villous lining of the small bowel is where essentially all of our nutrition is absorbed. So, yes, anemia is one of the classic symptoms of celiac disease. One very important thing you need to be aware of is that your PCP may refer you to a GI doc for an endoscopy/biopsy of the small bowel lining to confirm the results of the blood antibody testing. So, you must not begin gluten free eating until that is done or at least you know they are going to diagnose you with celiac disease without it. If you start gluten free eating now there will be healing in the villous lining that will begin to take place which may compromise the results of the biopsy.
    • Tanner L
      Constantly! I don't want everything to cost as much as a KIND bar, as great as they are.  Happy most of the info is available to us to make smart decisions for our health, just need to do a little more research. 
    • ekelsay
      Today, I received the results of my Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) Ab, IgA test. I am not sure how to interpret the results. I have left a message for the doctor that requested the test but have not heard back. The results stated that the normal range is from 0.00 - 4.99 FLU. My results came back at 92.08. Is this concerning? This seems extremely high for someone who has reached the age of 50 before finding out he has celiac disease.  The reason that I was administered the test in the first place is due to bloating issues that started about a year ago. I met with a Gastroenterologist and after a short question and answer session she wanted to test me for celiac disease and a bacteria test via the H. Pylori Breath Test. She seemed more concerned with the fact that I am a healthy male suffering from Anemia. Is it possible the anemia could be a result of celiac disease? I have been on an iron supplement for the better part of 5 years.      
    • Scott Adams
      Be sure to keep eating gluten daily until all testing is completed.  Here is more info about how to do a gluten challenge for a celiac disease blood panel, or for an endoscopy: and this recent study recommends 4-6 slices of wheat bread per day:    
    • Scott Adams
      You can always to the gluten challenge later, after your pregnancy, should you need a formal diagnosis. I think it's best to play it safe in this case.