djk40

Undiagnosed Celiac During Pregnancy

Rate this topic

When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I had horrible cramps during the first 20 months, then during the second half, I was extremely fatigued and had very soft stools (like soft serve icecream. I kept insisting something was very wrong with me, but the doctors couldn't figure it out. Then my daughter was born with mild CP ( the brain doesn't form completely tipically due to lack of oxygen at birth, but there are other causes)has anyone ever experienced this? I see alot of posts from people who already knew they had celiac during pregnancy. I'm just thinking that if the doctors were better informed this could have been avoided.

I am very sorry about your daughter's diagnosis of CP. I was undiagnosed during all 3 of my pregnancies as well, and I have researched this topic extensively (the effects of undiagnosed celiac disease on the developing fetus). There is no known link between maternal celiac disease and poor placental blood flow. Celiac disease does effect fertility and may lead to poor growth in utero due to poor maternal nutrition, but that is all that is currently known. There are some pilot studies in which all pregnant moms are being screened for celiac, so hopefully there will be more information available in the future.

I am so sorry you have dealt with this. I believe I had undiagnosed celiac during both of my pregnancies. With my oldest, I had IUGR and she was born weighing 5 lbs 2 oz. At 39 weeks. I have heard IUGR is common with Celiac, and I don't know a lot about CP. I just hope drs start working harder to understand this, because that is their job. Most drs don't even seem to attempt to try and screen for the disease, which is a shame.

uote name='djk40' timestamp='1310333572' post='715530']

When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I had horrible cramps during the first 20 months, then during the second half, I was extremely fatigued and had very soft stools (like soft serve icecream. I kept insisting something was very wrong with me, but the doctors couldn't figure it out. Then my daughter was born with mild CP ( the brain doesn't form completely tipically due to lack of oxygen at birth, but there are other causes)has anyone ever experienced this? I see alot of posts from people who already knew they had celiac during pregnancy. I'm just thinking that if the doctors were better informed this could have been avoided.

Diagnosed Celiac disease in June, 2011. So many thoughts and emotions since diagnosed. Had been searching for help since severe anemic 10 yrs ago, dismissed as menstrual problem. Given meds. for depression never helped. Severe P.M.S dismissed and told to stay away from caffeine, salt, eat small meals. Severe hayfever in the fall, allergy tested, given allergy shots. Undigested food in B.M's even an allergy tablet, told diverticulitis, get colonoscopy. Visit with GI 5 yrs. ago wanted to do a colonoscopy, I declined. On third gynecologist, first offered hysterectomy or birth control pills, took BCP, second vaginal sonograms-cyst to small to cause pain, BCP for severe P.M.S. Third is also my new family doc internist/gynocology diagnosed Hypothyroid, high cholesterol, high triclycerides,low Vitamin D, depression. Armour thyroid helped the constant diarrhea but still complaining of the bloating, pain, plantar fasiatis and chronic depression. She referred me to GI, did the colonoscopy this time, ok, good for 10 yrs. She asked if anyone ever mentioned Celiac disease to me, never, not even her, she's the one I saw 5 yrs. previous. Ran celiac blood test, positive, I think my numbers are extremely high. She said no need for endoscopy, I definitely have celiac disease. I have had 5 children, premature baby at 26 weeks died next day, son severe dyslexia above average intellect, daughter 22, diagnosed malformed uterus, P.C.O.S, hypothyroid. Twins which were triplets, high risk, one has malformed uretha, A.D.D, L.D but both musically inclined.

So wondering if I've had this disease all my life? Is there any way to know? What are extremely high numbers on blood test? Read gold standard is to have endoscopy,should I? Anyone have some of the same issues? Sorry so long, I'm on an emotional roller coaster with all this. Thanks