ShawnieB

Is It Ok To Have Gluten Every Once In A While?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac about 3 weeks ago and ive been doing good. Im the type that feels no pain or doesn't get sick when i have gluten. I was wondering if it was ok to pig out on any food every now and then...like 3 times a year. What do you think will happen? Please help because I don't think I can hold back come thanksgiving :(

I was diagnosed with celiac about 3 weeks ago and ive been doing good. Im the type that feels no pain or doesn't get sick when i have gluten. I was wondering if it was ok to pig out on any food every now and then...like 3 times a year. What do you think will happen? Please help because I don't think I can hold back come thanksgiving :(

Sadly, a big fat NO! We must be super diligent 100% of the time. I did not get sick from eating gluten, either, and many people find their sensitivity to gluten increases over time. More importantly, think of the damage it can do to your gut! It does not take a lot of gluten to cause problems (i.e. other illnesses/diseases). It is hard, I know, especially with Thanksgiving coming up. However, there are tons of Thanksgiving dishes you can safely eat. Do you like to cook?

• Upvote 1

As long as you don't mind the huge increase in the risk of cancer, additional auto-immune diseases such as Hashimotos and diabetes, and refractory celiac (celiac with symptoms that do not respond to the gluten-free diet).

You are free of course to make your own decisions. No one can make you stay gluten-free but It's really not worth the risk, IMO. Thanksgiving is one of the easiest meals to do gluten-free. Do a search on this board and you will find lots of recipes.

Also you may find after you have been gluten-free for a while that eating gluten suddenly DOES make you feel sick now.

No, if you're celiac you can no longer eat any gluten...at all! Unless you want to get sick and risk all sorts of other terrible long term consequences of course.

Once you've started feeling so much better on the diet you won't want to go back to eating gluten as it's what caused all the problems in the first place.

Don't worry about Thanksgiving dinner...there are lots of safe and delicious Thanksgiving dishes you can still have! :)