This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Yellow Eyelids

Blu

Blu Newbie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease a month ago. I have suffered over the years from abdominal pain, peripheral neuropathy, poor proprioception, bladder urgency, aching joints, muscle weakness, and poor balance. Years ago I was misdiagnosed with Crohn's disease although my digestion has been fine and pain has been the only abdominal related issue that I have noticed. After eating gluten I have severe abdominal cramping. I am also lactose intolerant.

About a year ago I started noticing yellow/orange eyelids. After being diagnosed with celiac disease, I was concerned that the yellow eyelids might be an indication of liver disease and asked my GP to test my liver function. My liver function is normal. I was also tested for cholesterol which although bordering on high was no cause for concern. My B levels were fine. I am not anaemic. I don't eat many carrots. After 20 years of chronic illness I am concerned that the yellow eyelids might be a sign of something serious that I should be addressing. Alternatively, perhaps the yellow eyelids are some sort of reaction to gluten which will disappear over time? 

Has anyone had yellow eyelids? If so, did it go away after not eating gluten? What was the yellowing of the eyelids from? 

• 3 years later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

san-luisa-rey-NYC Newbie

Hello,

I see you posted this a long while ago, and perhaps--I hope-- it's no longer a matter of concern, but I thought I'd mention that shortly before I was diagnosed for celiac's, I had distinct yellow blotches on the corners of my eyelids toward my nose. Some months after I had stopped eating gluten, the yellow gradually went away, and--as it just reappeared now several years later, I googled the issue again. 

I am only speculating here, but I do believe it is related to liver problems, which, in turn, are related to celiac's. I don't think liver function tests cover all aspects of liver health. I say this because when I was pregnant I developed a temporary liver condition called interhepatic colestasis of pregnancy (ICP), but my liver function tests had been fine. (The condition is diagnosed based on bile levels in the blood, not on liver function). I discovered upon some research that (of course!) ICP  can be associated with celiac's disease. 

My hunch is this-- that celiac's presents two problems to the liver: 1) the malabsorption of nutrients--esp. Vit. K2-- that are vital liver health; 2) since gluten registers as a toxin to the immune system (I think?), perhaps the liver gets overloaded processing so much toxic material. Or perhaps there's some other reason. At any rate, poor liver health and celiac's do seem to be linked, according to a few articles I've found.

Anyway, hope your problems are resolved now.

• 11 months later...
Sanford71 Newbie

I have had celiac for many years now and follow a very strict gluten free diet.  I have had yellowing of the eyelids for over a year.  My general doctor has done all the traditional checks of liver and cholesterol and no issues to speak of.  I am concerned that there is another cause we are missing.  I feel like a chronic hypochondriac.  Any thoughts or updates on your knowledge of this situation.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master
29 minutes ago, Sanford71 said:

I have had celiac for many years now and follow a very strict gluten free diet.  I have had yellowing of the eyelids for over a year.  My general doctor has done all the traditional checks of liver and cholesterol and no issues to speak of.  I am concerned that there is another cause we are missing.  I feel like a chronic hypochondriac.  Any thoughts or updates on your knowledge of this situation.  

What is your diet? If you consume a diet every high in vitamin A like a ton of fresh veggies etc yellowing of the eyelids, hands, feet, etc is normal.

Archived