Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CeliacAndrew

Gluten-Free Country...?

Hello everyone :)

I've wondered about this many times and have tried to research it the best I could but have never come up with many good findings. Perhaps someone else has? I don't even have to settle for a country, even a region in some part of the world...but is there a place in the world that does not grow any of the gluten-containing grains, and also not have any gluten containing foods as part of it's cultural food?

A place like this would be GREAT to visit.

It is definitely possible in undeveloped parts of the world that haven't been commercialized, but still so many of them use wheat/barley crops.

I'll contribute one, and that's in Northern Canada, where Inuit people survive almost purely on meats, berries, and various plants. What about somewhere warmer? 

Anywhere in South America? Africa? Asia?

I posted this in the super-sensitive forum because I know this sometimes frustrating disease can provoke us to dream and find creative solutions.

Whether it be a vacation spot or even a place to serve a community, going to communities like this can be like living in an little gluten-free world. Mind you I think about ideas like this after going through a series of contaminations, hence this post. :)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't think that sort of place exists anymore. Even in regions of the world that traditionally have not comsumed gluten, western foods are now ubiquitous. Wheat is the most commonly grown crop in the world, and is transported everywhere.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

Join eNewsletter

Wow, I used to dream of this! Even a city would be so great.

I have been putting Italy on my map because they apparently have a very high awareness of celiac. However, definitely not gluten free!

I went to Turkey and gorged on figs, fresh juice and plain fish and really enjoyed it.

But a place with no gluten at all… hmmm… I read of a recent study in Tanzania, I believe where they were studying the microbiomes of traditional hunter/gatherers. These people did not consume western foods. The scientist even ummm… tried injecting the microbiome into himself! Fascinating.

However, I don't know how much of a gastronomic experience you will have. I think it's mostly plain meat, manioc and foraged veggies.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter